The "NANCY G" a surfboat /lifeboat to motorsailer conversion build in progress

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by viking north, Feb 11, 2011.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I think I recognize a piece or two. I am glad they can still serve. :cool:

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

They're out there, they're out there Yo. I figure since we in Canada have such a small tax base (Less than California) in no way can we afford to travel out there to find them. I am worn out trying to explain this to the politicians so logic says we must lure them to us :).
    Hoyt, somewhere among that gear there is a capacitor and a transistor checker. Old school but still in use.I have a few more pieces of heavy gear to put on the rack but have to permanently mount the antennas beforehand. All in time All in time :D

3. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Ah! An interstellar B&B. Very astute!
    Do alien guests pay with technology? Or diamonds?

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Boat Cart

Over this winter the weather has been very erratic from frost to rain and generally damp. Overall it felt too humid for glass work so i decided to take on another part of my boat build, the cradle. Modified farm carts make excellent boat launch and retrieval cart cradles. Basically the same set up as the early lifeboat stations used. If the water in the launch area happens to be too shallow simply attach a tow cable or rope and pull to deeper water. A kedge type anchor setup serves well for this. A cable or chain attached to the tow bar allows for retrieval. Compared to a typical boat trailer the 4 wheel cart setup is a more stable and maneuverable platform. It's one downfall is, it can be only towed short distances at slow speed. Certainly more in tune with back roads or secondary highways. I have included a photo of a typical steerable 4 wheel boat cradle of which mine will be of a slightly different construction. I have also included photos of the dismantled farm cart front end, a new longer front axle and the initial stages of the rebuild. Note,the 7018 rod oven. :) I will post as I progress for anyone interested in building a similar set up. Once the cradle cart is completed I will get back to work on the Nancy G.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  5. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

Nice cradle. Is their anything that should be done after launching or retrieving in salt water? Is it enough to wash it down? Is it better to use heavy axle grease or something that makes it easier to rinse?

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Jamie, I have made use of open not boxed steel where ever possible in the construction. I.E. I beam or channel. This allows for early detection and touch ups of corrosion. In addition i have cleaned the steel well, primed with heavy zinc industrial primer and will paint with top quality anti corrosion paint. The old school constructed 18ton John Deere farm cart is loaded with grease nipples of which I will add 4 more, one on each spindle bearing cap. I don't think it is necessary to wash it down after each salt water dip but if convenient why not do so. Based on other builds, I estimate that it should have a trouble free life of some 10 to15yrs. In other words my lifetime which is basically all that is required. :D

7. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

Well then, I hope you will have change the bearings, at least once, maybe twice. :D

8. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Bearings and tyres (oops slipping back) tires are a given and based on a 10 to 15 yr. interval I thank you much for the good wishes :D --- Geo.

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Boat Cart

Made good progress today, got the spindles cleaned and blasted, the main frame longitudinal and cross beams wire brush cleaned ready for zinc priming. I cut, wire brushed and zinc primed the intermediate cross framing last fall so other than the upright hull supports, once primed , the main frame is about ready to weld up. I am intentionally priming most of the steel area before welding because it will be welded outside the shop and i'm trying to control surface rust. Basically I have or will mark the steel where welding is to take place and these areas remain unprimed. After welding i will knock off the slag wire brush and prime. Once the cart is completed I will give it a couple of coats of high grade industrial anti rust paint.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  10. hoytedow

Happy Easter, everyone.

11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Thank You Sir and Likewise for your kind regards :)

12. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Feliz Domingo de Pascua

13. hoytedow

Muchisimas gracias.

14. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Felix Domingo de Pascua -- Yo thank you for that introduction --beautiful work. I can't say the same for what I am about to face on one of the next few days. Forecast is calling for 10C above and sunny here for the next 3 days which is exactly what I need to warm up the steel for priming while cool enough to do respirator work which is exactly what this toxic zinc primer requires. Nothing more uncomfortable than sweating under a respirator. Not a chore i am looking forward to but one i will be happy to have completed.

15. hoytedow

I hope it goes well for you.

< catamarn: how to plumb water tank in each hull | Which Stapler to Buy >