The "NANCY G" a surfboat /lifeboat to motorsailer conversion build in progress

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by viking north, Feb 11, 2011.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Getting worried. Any news?

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Thank You Hoyt, the old guy is still kicking. :) Due to the crazy winter and really late spring I am about a month behind on just about everything not boat related. Work on the boat i'm about 2 yrs. behind. :D I've just about completed the prep. work to open the B&B for the season although the house repairs and upgrade after almost 30yrs. use will be ongoing. Boat work is continuing slowely but grinding and filling doesn't make for interesting photos or reading material. I,ve completed grinding out the damaged spots caused by the overly aggressive air chisel knocking off those rubbing strakes and will fill the small craters over the next week. Once these are filled and sanded level with the hull surface i'll finally be ready to glass the keel to the hull. I,ve decided to run the keel to hull glassing down and out onto the hull 6 in. or so allowing easier tapering and blending of the new GRP layers to the hulls surface. Another week or so the boat work should really start coming alive. It's a battle but as we all have experienced, Life's chores take priority. The photos show set up of the big 8 in. dust vacuum hose when grinding. --Photos Shortly

Attached Files:

3. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Sweet seduction.

George,

I was full of good intentions. There were too many calls on my time. I could in no way justify nurturing a vintage cabin cruiser on the River Thames. That would be like owning the water borne version of an old MG rag top. Not feasible at all. See what I mean?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/1953.mg.td.arp.jpg

Then seven days ago, my eldest son Spenser pointed me in the direction of ebay. Yesterday, second son Ashley & I journeyed to South Dock Marina.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...79,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x2f61cc3e508b235e

Near from whence did the Mayflower start her voyage.

http://www.mayflowerpub.co.uk/

Yep, we bought Orpheus. Scroll down to Freeman 22 Mk 2, click to enlarge second photo & click on that.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOAT-FREE...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

There were over 6000 Freeman Cruisers built of varying sizes. It turns out that having one becomes a lifestyle choice. Like caring for a elderly pet.

http://www.freemancruisers.com/boats/

The fun begins. Again!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Hello Pericles, Sorry for the late reply but it's just been madness here with maintenance on the B&B. As I mentioned to Hoyt on a prev. e mail i'm about 2 months behind but finally catching up on the items to get it all in reasonable working condition with about a years continued banging away at it. Just a few more days and i'm back at the boat being rescheduled for end of June . Re arranging the tools and materials today so i can get right at it.You have bit the bullet, Looks like a good low maintenance craft no doubt you will overhaul and tiddly it up to your taste. Photos photos photos. ---Geo.

P.S. Is that your MG ??

5. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Hello George,

The last few days have highlighted a few personal limitations. Orpheus has an 997 cc Watermota Sea Wolf Mk1 petrol engine, based on the Ford Anglia pre-crossflow unit & is 47 years old. It requires leaded petrol as it does not have hardened valve seats & the petrol is at least 12 months old. Simple technology & easy to work on when in a car, but below my ankles ..... arrgghh! Start? Inte jus nu.

The engineer who is undertaking the Boat Safety Scheme 4 year examination on Wednesday next, says he'll get it started. :p I've got new plugs, points, rotor arm, condenser, Redex lead replacement additive, Millers Petrol Power Ecomax & 10 litres of Premium petrol to mix in with the 45 litres of stale petrol in the tank. Then it's a piloted 5 hours from South Dock Marina up the Thames Tideway to Teddington Locks & the peaceful non-tidal Thames (6 months registration $535 Canadian).

I spent Thursday & Friday nights on board in the marina last week just for the Craic. I'd forgotten what "cramped" means. :D The lads will have no trouble scampering around, but I think I need a derrick to clamber aboard. Meanwhile, it's raining!

Regards,

Perry

6. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

The nearest I got to an MG was a green Wolseley 444, which I ran for a few months in 1966.

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/50_wolseley444.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolseley_4/44

I always had designs on its bigger brothers, the Wolseley 6/90 & the Riley Pathfinder. Gearstick was down by the right knee, in a right hand drive car!

http://www.motorbase.com/uploads/2007/08/27/fs_dscn0048.jpg

Good evening sir. Been down the pub 'ave we?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r...os%2Fbrizzlebornandbred%2F9859411865;1024;694

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Wolseley, A Great old auto. I at one time owned A 1950's era Vanguard. The body was like the day it left the factory but it had thrown a rod and I couldn't locate another engine, so a few of us converted it to a open engined roadster sporting a 283 Chevy V8. It was built like a tank and had the frame of a 3 ton truck. I was always impressed with the fit and finish of English built autos and this one was no exception sporting an plush interior that today,one would only find in custom built lemo's .

8. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Yesterday was a serious back to the boat build day. I decided to extend the keel to hull glassing bi axial cloth farther out onto the hull in order to cover 90% of the damaged areas caused by the overly aggressive air chisel attacking those hull rubbing strakes. This will allow me to simply use filler to level out the damaged cratered like areas and take advantage of the new layer of bi axial/matt to recapture the loss strength. Convenient since i have to use the bi axial on the keel to hull joint anyway. In preparation, I had to remove 4 more of those bonded rubbing strakes(2 runs each side of the keel.) It will also involve removing an additional 4 to 6 in. of gel coat back aft. on the turn of the hull to keel. The hammer wood chisel system while slower and more labour intensive at approx. 1 hr. per strake, does an excellent job with very little to no damage to the hulls FRP laminate. Overall it definitely will save work when time comes to remove all those strakes and attain a finish on the hull. This coming weeks work schedule is to peel off the mentioned gel coat, and do a rough power sanding in prep for filling and laying on the bi axial.

P.S. PAR,(Paul) I am keeping track of that negative hull weight :)

Attached Files:

9. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Picked up Orpheus from South Dock Marina three Wednesdays ago tomorrow. This is the first time I have returned to the house & I shall return to the boat tonight to carry on voyaging on the River Thames. I'll post photos next time.

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You are turning that mountain into a mole hill, Viking.
    Enjoy Orpheus, Pericles.

11. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

I really like this project and the way you are going about it. Love the sheer line and counter. Very excited about your plans to make her a motor sailer. Thanks for all the pictures and details like weight. Keep us posted.

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Controlling the weights and noting their locations are key to getting this type of conversion to work well come launch day. I'm convinced she'll float with the decks facing up, but I'll insure I'm standing well outside arm swing range on that day, just in case I forgot to carry a one or something . . .

13. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

:)
    Maybe a little extra ballast on launch day. Remember the VASA. ;-)

[​IMG]

14. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Tis all in the figgerin, all in the figgerin, it's between the lead in the keel and the lead (leed)in the sails dat'll make her behave before the breeze . Now Paul how can anything go wrong with two great minds, one figgerin and the otter jiggerin, why my man she's gonna be justa fine schallop.
    Thanks Jamie for those most kind words --- Geo.

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yeah the poor Vasa, those early Americas Cup boats were pretty top heavy . . .

< catamarn: how to plumb water tank in each hull | Which Stapler to Buy >