The "NANCY G" a surfboat /lifeboat to motorsailer conversion build in progress

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by viking north, Feb 11, 2011.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Not for us, historically, this has been one of the most mild. We had two cold snaps, both when the north was up to their arm pits in snow, but we never dropped very low in Lake county. Technically you're a wee bit south of me, but I'll bet being on the blue side, you got more northwesters than normal, as the cold fronts rolled through from Texas. For some reason these fronts always seem to slide northeast, just missing us, while being considerably more southern on landfall on your coast. At least this is the pattern I see most often.

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Paul,

Blue side; is that the Tex Mex Gulf?

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I agree, Paul, about the weather patterns vis a vis your area getting the milder conditions.
    Perry, the blue side in our case is the Gulf Coast. The wind off the Gulf is probably why we felt so much colder than when we are in eastern Pasco County, where the trees shelter us from much of the direct wind. I believe East Pasco usually gets more cold weather than the Lake and Orange Counties. The storm fronts usually form a SW-NE pattern here.

4. PAR

Yep, the blue side looks turquoise when you rise over a hill and see the gulf for the first time, while the Atlantic looks gray.

Typical weather patterns seem to run up, just north of the I-4 corridor, blasting you, yet sliding north of me (damn, I have it tough). We very rarely freeze, maybe once every decade, though occasionally, like this year, we'll dip below freezing for an hour or two early in the morning.

5. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

You people are lucky to get nice cold weather. I get sick of hot weather pretty quick and they can keep the humidity to. Give me cold any day. can always put a coat on. It got down to 11 c here yesterday morning and it was great.

6. OrcaSea

OrcaSea Senior Member

If humans were to be kept in zoo Washingtonians would be the most difficult to keep. We have a comfort range of between 60 and 80F, outside of that we start pathetically whining, bitching and complaining.

Luckily, we don't do that often ;)

7. PAR

Screw the cold, the human body wasn't designed for it and I've had my fill. If you go outside and have a snow ball fight with your neighbor and you come in, strip off all your cloths and stand in front of a roaring fireplace, you'll notice (as soon as the shivering stops) after several minutes, you have to turn around so your butt can warm up too. Now, go outside on a 95 degree day and bust up some concrete with a 15 pound hammer, then come in a house with the A/C on. It's instant relief and this is your body telling you something. Yeah, screw the cold, I'm too skinny to stay warm below 60 degrees anyway.

8. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Yep, Northerners have excuses to justify their existence in cold climates. :eek: My two favorites are "I enjoy the (four) seasons." and " The summers are really nice." :rolleyes: Give me hot and sweaty summers and cool and dry winters! :cool: It snowed here in Buffalo yesterday and the water is still hard. :( Below freezing temps for six months out of the year is cruel and unusual punishment. :mad: if it wasn't for a heated boatshed, I'd go insane. :p

9. PAR

Yeah, I love the seasons too, which is why I moved some place where we only have the good ones.

10. whitepointer23

Sounds terrific. 30 c here yesterday and i have blown a condenser pipe on my truck ac. Wish I had some snow to cool off In.

11. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I love 30 C. It's the 30 F that kills me.

12. whitepointer23

Bloody 30 again now I will send it over if I can have some of your weather. I used to work in 45 c plus for months at a time without a problem but this hot weather down south seems to be a lot harder to put up With. Must be getting old.

13. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I'll be more than happy when the temp. starts hitting above 10C so I can start posting boat building photos instead of snow bank photos on this thread. Long range forecast predicts that this should occur within next two weeks. The past two months has been abnormally cold and brutal here. I do have to admit I'd prefer a little cool rather than too hot. Something in the range of 12 to 20C is just perfect. In our neck of the woods this is about the average daily temp range from May to Oct. There is the odd year where this could also include March and April but me thinks not this year. However, I do have about a months supply of shop firewood that could play games with April's temperatures :D

14. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

George,

There is a suggestion on a couple of websites that the past 2 brutal winters in North America herald the onset of a mini glacial period, akin to the cold temperatures that occurred from 1300 AD to circa 1850 AD & that the so called increase in warmth of 0.7°C that was supposedly measured (by cooking the record books), is just a blip before the plunge in temperatures.

The suggestion is that 8 more winters like the last one & the Great Lakes will not thaw in summer. You'll need an ice breaker bow & watch out for the cuddly white bears of which watermelons are so enamoured. Bearing (oops) in mind that the causes of the five major ice ages are not fully understood for either the large-scale ice age periods or the smaller ebb and flow of glacial–interglacial periods within an ice age, I reckon it's just a coin toss either way. Of course, I'll not escape. At the Last Glacial Maximum 22,000 years ago, the ice was only 120 miles away from the Thames. :mad::mad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_glacial_period#/media/File:Weichsel-Würm-Glaciation.png

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Perry

15. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

The warmer it gets, the more urgent it becomes that new ice breakers are constructed in North America. :confused:

http://iceagenow.info/2015/03/warmer-ice-breakers/

A comment by Jimbob:

"The only reason it getting warmer, is because NOAA, UK Met, Aus BOM are fudging the figures to maintain support for the Carbon Credits Fraud.

Winters are starting earlier, lasting longer, with far more severity, than during SC16 and now at the end of the Dalton Solar Minimum period.

Before long the US heavy Ice breakers will be need in US home waters.
    The US should expect another 12 very harsh winters until the Solar Max starts in SC25."

< catamarn: how to plumb water tank in each hull | Which Stapler to Buy >