The "NANCY G" a surfboat /lifeboat to motorsailer conversion build in progress

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by viking north, Feb 11, 2011.

1. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Perry, UPWARD SPIRAL -- verses the downward spiral that has occurred over the past 3 months. Great for manufactured exports but not so good if one has to purchase in or visit the U.S.
    PDW -Peter, I'm Still holding out for a CPP :D As you are aware feathering props while great for sailing still leave a lot to be desired for motorsailing. Maybe we'll both get lucky and someone will find a pair under a bench in some old boat shop .

3. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Finally Above Zero

Hello All we're still alive despite mother natures determination to freeze us to death or smother us in snow. It's been the worst 1 1/2 months of winter weather in all my 70 yrs. Today is one of celebration being the first of more than two days in a row of above 0 C (32 F) in the past 45days with most of those -10 to -15C (5 to15F) . Daily wind chill factors doubling and tripling those numbers and snow accumulation from bare ground Feb, 1st. to present 160plus Cent.( 70 plus. in.), has not only put a crimp in lifestyle but brought my boat work to a sudden halt. The forecast for the next 4 days being all above 0C reaching +8C (45F) just might entice me to fire up the shops old wood stove and make dust. :D:D:D:D:D:):):):):)YAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

P.S. Some photos included for the enjoyment of you People of the T shirt & Short Pants Society :D

Attached Files:

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You picked a bad winter not to come south. Glad you're okay. At least the "crow's nest" stayed aloft. :)

5. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Hoyt I kid you not it was one tough month and a half, old time winter weather of which most people today have never experienced. I believe you guys even got a taste of that Siberian frontal effect on the Jet Stream. This is several winters in a row that the Siberian Fronts have pushed and held the Jet Stream far south and stationary for long periods. I hope this is not the new norm otherwise Canada might have to buy Cuba as a southern re settlement territory.:D Getting back to boats, Hope you are enjoying both your new craft and new waters. I should be back on the build within a week or so. I have about a weeks sanding and filling the damaged spots from removing those rubbing strakes up near the keel root before glassing. By that time I should get the shop heat up to allow fiberglass work. That is of course if the Siberians don't invade again :D

6. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Hello again George,

Good to hear from you again. I've been keeping track of your weather situation via a number of sites, such as http://iceagenow.info/ and http://wattsupwiththat.com/

I do recall that some months ago, you allowed as that your part of NS had not frozen up for some years #424 & that gave me a wry smile. I reckon you tempted Üllr & Skaði to harken to your words about the sparse snow falls, leaving them no choice but to remind we puny mortals that we should not tempt the gods.

Your house looks magnificent in the snow & is that you on the digger? Do you know why Summertime Blues sank at her mooring. It's a good looking vessel & I hope it can be salvaged.

The world record for snowfall in one day was broken around 10th March, oddly enough in the centre of Italy; 100.8 inches of snow in just 18 hours!

http://iceagenow.info/2015/03/world-record-snowfall-capracotta-italy-video/

Best wishes to you & your family.

Perry

7. hoytedow

It has been a busy winter here and definitely a cold one. We have had the boat in the water twice. Yobarnacle can give you a report on the second launching on the St. John's River near Red Bay when he next has internet access. Hopefully it will be launched again this weekend.

Pericles, how was the winter in the south of England?

8. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Yes Perry, I should have kept a low good weather gloating profile. Basically no winter to speak of up to beginning of Feb. That's my neighbor/snow clearing contractor on the tractor. Powerful machines for their size and on my wish list. :) The Summertime Blues as far as can be determined lost use of the bilge pumps possibly as a result of one of the many supposedly rare flash freeze weather conditions we had this winter. (Mild conditions with heavy rain with a dramatic drop in temp.) Most likely she was taking on a high rate rain water during one of the torrential rains, the bilge pump couldn't keep up and once the temp. dropped suddenly both the bilge pump and remaining bilge water froze solid. We had two or three of these weather conditions within a few days allowing both the rain water and any below waterline hull leakage caused by ice pressure sealed her faith.The owner say's he'll repair her in time for boating/fishing. The harbour hasn't really frozen in 20 yrs. but still not a good idea not to put them on the hard over winter. Oh well it promotes Capitalism :D

9. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

10. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

It dropped to 6C overnight. I'm thinking of stopping boat building for the winter soon & head north to more civilised temperatures. I'll give it another month or 2 yet, unless it gets cold fast.

Reminds me that my firewood supply is pretty minimal - time to put down the paint roller and crank up the chainsaw.

Fortunately we *never* get snow like that and I sincerely trust that the situation will not change.......

PDW

11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

PW we have gone thru approx. 5 cord of hardwood since Nov. 2014 most in the past two 1/2 months. The old woodshed has about 1 cord remaining which should get me thru. I do have 6 cord. in 8ft. lengths tarp covered in the woodpile drying out for next winters supply but hopefully the 1 remaining cord will get me thru this season. Soon be time to fire up the workshop wood stove again and bug PAR on some previously supplied info that has gotten frozen somewhere in my short memory channel. That is of course if I can tear him away from a cold one in the lawn chair :D

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I was literally in a lawn chair, enjoying a cold one yesterday. I had a client over and we were discussing the usual stuff over a beer. I have cords of wood everywhere, but it's still stacked up in the trunks of my trees, as anyone that's been here can attest, I have a few standing around to offer me shade and boat building stock.

13. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Warm weather, clients and beer, "Got Her Made In The Shade" --- How the south continues to punish the North :D (Will be in touch over the next week or so just after start Up-- Geo>)

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I suspected as much.

Yeah, we're a torturous bunch down here in the south. Other than a week or two of 40's and 50's, it's been a warm winter. We did have a freeze one morning at the end of January, where it dropped below 32 degrees for an hour and a half (brutal night), but other wise warmer than usual.

15. hoytedow

I totally disagree, PAR. This was a very cold winter here in Florida, with the temperature once into the low 20's F in Pasco County.

Actually it only went down to 37 but it felt colder.

< catamarn: how to plumb water tank in each hull | Which Stapler to Buy >