The "NANCY G" a surfboat /lifeboat to motorsailer conversion build in progress

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by viking north, Feb 11, 2011.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

If it is Canada cold you might need the wood chisel. If southern fried hen, then fingers will do. :)

Attached Files:

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

The wood chisel gel coat removal is turning out to be surprisingly fast. I have developed a series of steps that is removing an area 12 by 6 in. in two minutes. Thats a square foot every 4 to 5 min. totally dustless. The dustless feature is a big plus for me being very sensitive to glass dust and working in an enclosed shop. I thought i'd pass this along for those of you who haven't tried it. Firstly using the hammer and chisel I gently cut a line along the origional keel to hull join radius. Next again using the hammer and chisel I peel back the gel coat about a foot along the top edge of the original keel continuing the peeling off down to the cut line on roughly 4in. intervals. Note in both situations the bevel edge of the chisel is underside. (standard chisel use) It is not necessary you do this second step, I just find it speeds up the final process which is peeling off the remaining gel coat using two hands on the chisel in the planing mode.(Again with the beveled edge on the underside). Next i'll remove a 3 to 4 in. strip of the gel coat back from the hull to keel join radius in prep. allowing the glassing in of the old to new keel joint to turn the radius out onto the hull surface.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  3. hoytedow

That is fast work.

Side note. Peg made Nancy's blueberry muffin recipe tonight and they are delicious.

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Be careful Hoyt they are addictive and you know what happens once you're hooked. You become sub servant to the supplier :)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  5. hoytedow

It is okay. I never served on a sub but I have served subs. Flacos is closed permanently which makes me sad. They had decent Cuban food.

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Well there's a distinction I hold, very few if any Newfoundlanders can say they ate at Flacos. :) It's sad, another mom and pop institution gone the way of the Great Auk.

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Up on completion of removing the gell coat along the sides of the original keel I decided to start sanding the surface of the new fin section prior to removing it from the male mold. After some 4 hours sanding I decided that it was difficult and awkward working from my knees so I decided to cut the forefoot, fin and skeg sections into three pieces and remove each separately to be worked on. I initially removed the forefoot section off the mold and removed it's mold section from the boat. Next using a sawsall I cut the retaining screws holding the fin and it's mold attached to the original shallow full keel. The idea was not to remove the fin from the mold but to place it in one piece on benches at floor level to do the surface sanding . In this manner the mold will keep the fin steady and maintain shape for sanding. Once it's finish is completed I will pop the fin's shell off the mold in prep for glassing to the hull. I will do likewise to the forefoot shell addition and the skeg. I am however going to have another serious look at reducing the size of the skeg closer the designers recommendations as I think I have come up with a strong method of attaching it along with the shoe holding the lower rudder's hinge. Included a few photos showing the work in progress. Also notice I have set up my big 6 in. dust collector hood to act as a downdraft unit reducing the airborne fiberglass sanding dust .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  8. hoytedow

You are doing a fine job. I checked out Caribbean Breeze Cuban Cafe and they have many of the same staff and the food is as good. Colilos Latin Cafe also just opened and their food is very good. :cool:

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Thanks Hoyt, trying to look after the poor old knees as much as possible. I'm gonna demand much of them as it is completing this project. It's great to place the work in a good working location which is rarely the case when squirming around tasks on boats.
    Hey we'll have to taste test the new Cuban Restaurants if opportunity arises. We are getting alot of Cuban and Mexican people moving into the area so possibly there might be a few here. I'll check it out -- Hows your new plans and material list coming along unlike the weather I hope all is going good ---Geo.

10. hoytedow

I am mulling over the Spira Carolina skiffs. I want something just under 16 feet in length but the Spira transom has a different profile from what I am seeking. I also want to build it lighter than his plans call for.

11. robint7777

robint7777 Junior Member

Vikings input on sheltered water tritoon

Viking, without highjacking this thread, I read in another of your posts that you were involved with a fellow getting a tritoon on the water with a bit more sea going capabilities.

I would love to know more about that project, I want to build one for myself.

Regards

Robin robint777 at hotmail dot com

12. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Robin I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage as I can't seem to recall that post. Can you give me a little more info that would jog my old brain ---Tnx.

13. robint7777

robint7777 Junior Member

Memory Jog

you had been commenting on a Pontoon builder who was being quite rude online,

He had built a small tritoon and put a camper trailer on it. In your response to him you mentioned being invoved with a friend/client who was building a pontoon or tritoon to be on the coastal waters in your area.

You mentioned that the tritoon or pontoon was being purpose built to withstand a bit more abuse expected from the coastal wave action compared to the typical pontoon being lake restricted with no waves.

The reason for the above is, I am considering the build of a tritoon

100' length, 36" 100% foam filled, plastic pontoons from Wilsonpontoon.com

I want to build the house out of a fibreglass prefab wall panel offered by cbsstructures.com

The wall panels when bolted together form a 20 or 26' wide dome structure of any length so on my application would be about 85' of house with open deck behind.

The dome house would be very strong in its own right and would lend some strength to the whole vessels strength.

the fibre glass panels are rated at a very high 8000 PSI and provide R28 insulation value even though they are only one inch thick and very light at 170lbs per panel.

My concern and what leads me to you is I was considering raising the deck on this tritoon as high above the pontoons as possible to hopefully gain some better seakeeping ability even though I do understand this would never be a blue water vessel.

In my mind I had wondered if an aluminium truss above each pontoon would hold the house/deck ... say 4' above the plastic pontoons would work, That could then be cross braced back up to the deck. The deck itself would have to be aluminium structure with its own level of strength , then the dome would add to the strength.

What are your thoughts or experiece with trying to make a pontoon boat safer for coastal conditions?

Thanks in advance, I know most people will tell me that I can not do this, but I am hoping for more thoughts on what I would need to do in order for it to be considered.

Best Regards

Robin

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Robin, you obviously need and engineer, if not an NA or designer. Can you do it Yep, you bet, but can you engineer the structure to withstand the local and global loads it'll need to endure? Pontoons at this scale, don't seem the logical or cost effective way to go, at first blush. Just the 33:1 beam/length ratio suggests they'll collapse or more likely buckle, under their own mass and/or in any modest sea state.

15. robint7777

robint7777 Junior Member

Hey Par

Just to add a bit of perspective

The 36" foam filled pontoons at 100% submerged will float 122700 lbs.

They have between 1/4 to 3/8 " wall thickness. Are made of medium density polyethylene

I have calculated the weight all up to be less than 40,000 lbs.

One idea i had was to build a aluminium truss spanning the length of each pontoon to support the deck upon. Meaning I don't believe I would experience a crushing effect on the pontoon by supporting the weight evenly across the whole length.

I am hoping for feed back.

I am hoping that you and others will suggest methods of making it work.

IE: what to consider what to expect, how to address same.

I am a bit on the creative side and do not mind the engineering side of things. 2 years ago I purchased a 132000 lb mobile crane that had the lower engine burn the cab and lower engine to the ground causing a forest fire.

It originally had 5 axles supporting this weight on an all terrain suspension.

I bought it cheap, reengineered the chassis and the crane, installed a trailer group of axles, extended the frame and now tow it around with a tractor. Works great, only 20% of the maintenance compared to original.

Thanks for your thoughts so far

< catamarn: how to plumb water tank in each hull | Which Stapler to Buy >