The "NANCY G" a surfboat /lifeboat to motorsailer conversion build in progress

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by viking north, Feb 11, 2011.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Hoyte, Duely noted--for sure agree and edited :D ---Geo.

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Arrgh you? Hoyt?

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

4. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Arrgh you? (How are you in pirate talk) :)

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Aye, well, me thinks, Matey. But let us belay the lingo for the sake of the lubbers until we have the bilge rats cornered under the Cat 'O Nine Tails. :D

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Well despite the busy time making a living and earning boat money i've managed to keep the build moving. The keel male mold is completed ready for the alum. foil tape tape application prior to waxing. I could take a chance and omit the foil tape prior to waxing but my gut feeling tells me not to gamble with this 28ft. odd shaped shell that could be tricky to release. The old foil tape trick has never let me down. Ok a couple of photos of the finished mold before applying the foil tape which I will show in my next post.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  7. Scunthorp

Scunthorp Hull Tech

sound good mate glad to hear you are ticking along

8. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Excuse the pun but something tells me you are in the same boat. Hows the Halman re assemble coming --

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'll have to call Nancy, as it appears your "honey do" list is way too short.

10. viking north

viking north VINLAND

You kiddin, That dam list was getting so long I had to put my alter ego on a second shift and my imaginary friend on the graveyard to get boat working time. With these helpers I might just be sending you promised info and bugging for drawings soon, so hows my chances competing with your list ---:D:?::?:

11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I got started applying the foil tape today. It's a little tricky at first but with patience and strips no longer than about a foot one will soon got the hang of it. I burnished the foil using a 1in. plastic broad knife allowing about a 1/4 in. overlap. On curved surfaces I work the burnishing from the center of the strip outward gradually stretching the alum. to conform to the irregular surface. I use a sharp point felt marker to mark the overlap. It's amazing how fast those 2 in.X 12 In. strips accumulate to cover an area.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  12. viking north

viking north VINLAND

A couple of days and one straight jacket later it's completed ready for waxing. Note the house wrap drip shield taped along the lower edge of the mold to hull joint. A little extra caution saves elbow grease down the road.

Attached Files:

13. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Mount a water ski on the keel, hook up to a ski boat, and that keel will fly!

How deep is that keel?

14. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ha Ha --I'd be happy with just a slight glide to windward. The bottom of the keel is 24in. below the hull to keel root. The original keel being a full keel 6 in. deep on top of which sits a 4 in. taper section creating in effect a full keel 10in. deep. Mounted on this is a 63series foil (fin) and skeg.

15. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Well you keep burning hours and finally you reach time to lay glass. Time to spend more of that hard earned boat money. In my case on this my final build --I hire two well respected professionals. One Old School --One New School. You'll guess which on the photos. I could have done the job myself with a helper but Just don't want to do it anymore. All I wanted to do was, build the mold and get it and the shop ready for glassing and at glassing time the Prime GoFer. The weather factor played a big role in the planning. I wanted a warm but not hot day with a south breeze. This pushes a great air flow thru the shop keeping fumes to a minimum as well as keeping one cool in those heat trapping suits and respirators. Not as big a request as you might think, this is a typical Aug. day here. Next post the completed glassing of the keel mold.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
< catamarn: how to plumb water tank in each hull | Which Stapler to Buy >