The motorsailer: Not good at anything or just a motorboat with sail?

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by gunship, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Yo, LOL, just because I'm in Missouri doesn't mean I must know a lot about mules!

That is one strange critter.

Think Sharpii 2 nailed it.

Things are what they are, it is what it is.

Now, where is that pontoon boat with a sail? :)

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I have two of these, that I'm modifying with salvaged fiberglass from wrecks.

Funny looking critters, I like them.

No fotos of modifications yet...I'll do a blog when done.

Attached Files:

3. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Very nice Yobarnacle, looking forward to seeing the process! I've seen that one, the make is on the tip of my tongue....aft cabin, like it.

2 of them? A parts boat or are you redoing both?

1 person likes this.
  4. Yobarnacle

Albin 25.

I'm doing both.

A 25 footer is about max I can haul behind my 3/4 ton Dodge van, but a little small to live aboard. Two are twice as big.
    I got one surprisingly cheap, and a year later offered a second surprisingly cheap. I couldn't pass it up. $500 each, and includes 1 trailer. :D

more info:

Attached Files:

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Boats are cheap. Never overspend. Shipyards are overflowing with boats that are sound but unsellable.

6. Yobarnacle

Agreed. :D

7. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

No one should have two, I'll come buy the one you don't need! :)

8. Yobarnacle

sorry not for sale. :)
    But I'll keep my eye open for another deal. Ok?

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Hey---beginning to sound like the project is about to get into high gear -- :) Geo.

10. Yobarnacle

One of the biggest obstacles has been resolved, my wife's visa renewal. Now we can go work on the boats together, just a little more money coming in, is all that's needed now.
    I have the boat funds ratholed, but took a hit in income. income comes first. Cash flow must be positive or disaster looms. :D

11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Know exactly where you're coming from re the funds. Nancy's hip revision after 15yrs on her hip replacement ran into some complications and we had to cut back on our B&B business. Living costs dug into the boat stash slowing the project a little. However luck was with me and I hooked onto a good paying part time project management job which should re supply.However no trip south again this year but looking forward to a busy winter on the boat. Hey have to play the hand your dealt and be dam happy we can still play :D

12. Yobarnacle

Captains jobs are always a narrow market. Only one per vessel. :D
    My agent feels confident he'll find me something. He only gets paid if I do.

The other thing I'm waiting on is indian summer. Real summer is too hot to camp on a boat under construction.
    Just a little less warm, then load up the wife and tools and get after it! :D
    Right now I'm holed up in the air conditioning, playing on the internet.

13. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Right now in addition to my other chores I am into processing fire wood for the coming cold season. I have it delivered in 8foot lengths and I saw it into 16in. junks which are trailer /Jeep from the wood pile to the shop, split and packed. It takes me about a month part time to process about 7 cord. 3 for the shop and 4 for the house. I am going to post this process on my build thread to show the youngins boat building it's not all just boat work. 50% is prep work.The house is super efficient full electric and very easy and economical to heat but there is nothing like wood heat in our typical wet sloppy snow winters. We get very little snow, a lot of freezing rain, combined with about 2 to 3 weeks of nice dry weather frost usually in Feb. All in all not a bad winter far better than when compared to much worst conditions as far south as New York State. Overall I think we have a better working temperatures than you guys down south with the exception we have to build a good shop to do it in. We don't have to live with the heat and humidity extremes. As they say you can prepare for the cold but the skin is the last layer when dealing with heat. On average it takes about 2 hours to heat the shop to around 60F and it hovers between 60 and 70 all day on a typical wintery day. The coffee/tea pot never far away. We're into Indian Summer here now also our best time of the year for work. Looking forward to your build posts ----Geo.

A yacht is not defined by the vessel but by the care and love of her owner ----

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  14. Yobarnacle

Actually clothing as an insulation works to protect from heat as well.
    A true story.
    Mama was born n raised near Canadian border. She never got used to Floridas 2 harvest growing season, so always planted a TOO huge garden. I had to work in it. Course I got to eat from it too. But it didn't need to be but a third the size she planted.
    anyway, she hired a man with a mule to plow every spring. he always wore a denim jacket, all buttoned up, even in the hottest weather.
    One day I asked how he could stand it in the heat.
    He opened his jacket, and invited me to feel the cold cotton flannel lining. Evaporative refrigeration! :D

Are you using a flywheel splitter?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_BpAhGSFWXc

15. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I will think twice if a man open his jacket and ask me to feel :D
    Just kidding.
    Yes you are right Yobarnacle, it works.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.