the most that can be had

Discussion in 'Option One' started by wardd, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

Cuz you might live well inland (USA) and want to Cruise SE Alaska or the East Coast of North America.

I trailered a 26' boat that on the trailer is about 10,500 lbs. I pulled it with a 3/4 ton van and got about 7.8mpg on the highway. This one is on the Erie Canal.

Attached Files:

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Fanie,
    I've managed to do some boating in over thirty of the US states. That never would have happened if I'd had a 14000# boat. The question becomes at what point does the trailer boat's size become a detriment to exploring. What is the heaviest trailer boat you can see yourself taking to different locals. How much gear brake-down and transfer to the truck are you willing to do? Transferring 2000# of gear to the truck so you have enough traction to get up the ramp is a pain; and you will not make friends with the locals if you tie up a busy ramp for 45 minutes.

I should probably also explain what I meant by a mooring. Two of the biggest anchors you can handle from your dink, put down Bahama style, fore and aft to the current. I pick up and move as I see fit. Boat can take care of herself for years at a time if need be. Chosing where to moor and feeling comfortable about it is a different matter and takes time. I was very busy getting to know the locals at Beaufort the first few days. Gave a bunch of folks rides to WalMart and bought some beer etc. Thats my insurance premium for the year. (hint: if you offer to exchange phone numbers with one of your neighbors and they decline - move on.)

Fifth wheel hitches don't appeal to me much for boats. Prefer straight hitch; although the straight hitch trailer is more prone to scrape the top of the ramp. The $100 air suspension kits for the trucks are great for getting the trailers over the ramp hump. Would probably switch to a 4x4 pickup before going to fifth wheel (for ramp traction). I really value the bed space in a pickup. Mine are always full.

3. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

Mine was a two wheel drive with a straight hitch. I did not find any ramps that I could not pull the boat out of. I did have a Reese load leveling hitch and lots of tongue weight.

Size is really more of a comfort issue than a physical issue.

4. wardd

wardd Senior Member

what boat is that?

5. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

We seem to be reaching a consensus regarding practical size for most of us at a record pace. Of course, that wasn't what the OP asked.:p

Very nice boat P

6. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

Its one I put together for my parent to do the loop. The hull is from a Permacraft 26 if you can find one.

7. wardd

wardd Senior Member

nice looking

8. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

I probably should of thought of this before. If you google boat trailer mfgs and cruise their sites, lots of photos. I liked this one from Loadmaster site.

Attached Files:

9. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The trailer guys are interested in what their trailers can move, big difference if the limit is the 8ft 6 inch beam for permit free towing.

FF

10. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

eight foot six should be plenty enough beam to generate a very fine trailer cruiser. Personally I would think overall weight of trailer, boat would be the limiting factor. What is the max weight...for practical trailer ramp launching ? Not the ability of the vehicle..the suitability of the ramp. What is the maximum draft...again..not total air height, but trailer ramp ability ?

11. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

The most: MAXINE

Here is my shot at it. The helm station visibility needs more work.

Attached Files:

12. Jim_Hbar

Jim_Hbar Junior Member

Phil:

Have you checked out the Ranger tugs? Another design to look at and garner some ideas.

BTW, I saw one, either a 25 or 27, cross the wake behind the Gabriola Ferry, and the way that boat heeled over was absolutely frightening. It went something like 20 degrees either way, and the boat rolled back and forth 4 or 5 times! There were two other boats in the vicinity - a 30 ft-ish beamy Hard Cabin fishing machine, and a 16 ft-ish small outboard fishing boat. Neither of those reacted to the wake the way the Ranger did - they just bobbed over it.
    After that event, the Ranger turned and followed the ferry back into the Nanaimo harbour. I don't know how they had the boat loaded, but it was alarming enough to me, just watching it, that it modified my design requirements.

Personally, I would arrange a sea trial of a boat similar to your proposed design prior to going further.

Michael:

In BC, and I suspect many other jurisdictions, the operator's drivers license sets the maximum weight that can be towed.
    In BC, the limit is 4600kg for any trailer with the standard driver's license, anything heavier requires additional licensing.
    Then, of course, there are the limits of what the vehicle is rated to tow..
    It's takes a pretty substantial truck to tow 4600kg on a ball legally, and you have to check more than just the number in the sales brochure, or the salesman on the floor of the dealership.

And there are too many variables on whether you can recover the boat at any particular ramp at any particular time.
    I've had problems with much lighter boats at low low tide, with the ramp all slimed up. Had to get another truck to help.

13. Carteret

Carteret Senior Member

I like the 70's model 26' convertibles. Chris Craft, Pacemaker, Trojan, Egg Harbor and such.They can be had very cheap and can receive the newer diesels very well. I did this with a 26 John Allmand. Tows well, runs well and accommodates two folks comfortably.

14. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

This is a modern seaworthy 4000 kg package....can you tow it ?

http://www.rangeboat.com/pdf/Plaquette_FR_LR.pdf

15. Jim_Hbar

Jim_Hbar Junior Member

Michael:

Is the question "Can I tow it?" -
    Even if the boat is only 4000 kg, the trailer for that boat will be well over 600kg., so, No, it's too heavy to be legally towed on public roads in British Columbia, Canada, by anybody possessing a standard drivers permit.
    At a 3.3m beam, it is too wide for a term over-width permit in this jurisdiction..
    At that length, the combination of tow vehicle, boat and trailer may be over-length also.

Can it be towed legally? Yes, but it would need pilot cars, special permits, and the correct Truck/trailer..

Nice boat, however!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.