The Missing Link

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by icetreader, Sep 2, 2011.

1. icetreader

icetreader Senior Member

I couldn't make up my mind where to post this thing - Multihulls? Kayaks? Motorboats?

The W500 is the world's smallest and narrowest production catamaran. It weighs 59lbs (27kg) and its total width is 28.5" (72 cm)
    Its main applications are paddling (kayaking, canoeing and SUP) and recreational fishing, and it does well under sail.

The following video shows it turned into a cartop motorboat, outfitted with a lightweight 4-cycle outboard gas engine that weighs 27 lbs (12kg) empty.

2. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

How about putting it in the "blatant advert for my own business" section? ;)

3. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ohhh Jeremy, you're sharp today :)

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I don't know why anyone would want the "narrowest" catamaran made. It takes away any real benefit from making two hulls instead of one.

I had trouble with bowwaves meeting between two hulls on a row boat with 3' separation, and that was with the really slow speed my 60 yo body could force.

Why not just make one of those ugly square dingy's and save the effort of more construction. Who says it will sail well. There are too many people who have never really sailed who think anything that gets blown down wind is good sailing.

Sorry to be so nasty, actually no I am not, but this is a waste of time unless you want to fish in a stock pond. Then I would rather have almost anything anyway.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.