Beyond Words

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Willallison, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...just as well coz this just leaves me speechless....

Attached Files:

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

It's not as if it would have been a cheap paint job. It reminded me initially of those " dazzle " paint jobs applied to warships at one time, to confuse the enemy. It certainly confused me !

3. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

The yacht is designed by Ivana Porfiri (only the interior ?) and the paint job is designed by Jeff Koons for which he indeed was inspired by the 'Razzle Dazzle Camo' used by the British Royal Navy and the U.S. Navy in both WW's. Name of the yacht is ‘‘Guilty’’, she (or it ?) was commissioned by Dakis Joannou, a wealthy Greek Cypriot industrialist.
    [​IMG] - - - [​IMG]
    Note the model in de hands of the man who thought it out, pictured in front of one of his paintings.

I guess the anti-collision strategy of ‘‘Guilty’’ now dependents on AIS and radar observations . . . :rolleyes:

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

[​IMG]

An experimental WW II 'dazzle scheme' for merchant marine shipping.

[​IMG]

An 'BMW Art Car' by Jeff Koons in 2010.​

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, they say.

I don't see a beauty in that boat. I don't like it.

6. Olav

Olav naval architect

I wouldn't want to have it, if I had the money - but I like it in that sense, that it's something different from all the other superyachts that look more or less the same.

Also it has some nice details regarding the interior; not so much the furniture in particular (not my personal taste), but the overall spatial impression. *click*

7. daiquiri

My previous comment was referred to the exterior design.
    I agree with you Olav, when it comes to the interiors. It is really well-made. Absolutely minimalist, spacious and well-illuminated. Ms. Porfiri has done a good job there.

8. Westfield 11

Westfield 11 Senior Member

Jeff Koons is the logical end point of the "art factory" concept first employed by Andy Warhol in the '60s. The "artist" does not actually touch any of the objects created in said factory, but merely provides inspiration and direction to those who do the actual work. Having a shipyard paint a yacht to his specifications and design is par for the course.

Having said that I doubt that Michaelangelo actually melted the bronze or performed the pour for his famous horse all alone either. Although I AM sure that he actually did create the wax original they made the mold from......

9. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Yes - I too rather like (most of) the interior. But what I see...beyond the 'fancy' paint job, is just a very ugly boat.... the basic proportions are IMHO... well... crap.
    As for collision avoidance, it looks like they failed there too...I mean... that bow...!?!?
    I'm all from standing out from the crowd....but please... do it with a little beauty

10. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

I'm gobsmacked to see a David Shrigley on the bulkhead!

Here's one of my favourites:

[​IMG]

11. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

The only words I can come with to describe this are .........ummm...yeah..that's different alright ...so different he can keep it all to himself ...

12. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It beats polka dots.

13. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

For a house or a yacht? While the design is clean, there are way too many square corners and sharp edges, wide open spaces, and too few handholds for a vessel. It's a Harbour Queen only (like many vessel of its ilk), and would likely get somebody hurt at sea. You don't want the "deck jewely" with bruises all over them.

14. daiquiri

JH, you are looking at this thing from a point of view of a naval architect who works on sea-going ships. But this is clearly a marina-queen. Even her silhouette tells that she is more akin to a regional ferry boat than to a ship for open seas:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I doubt she will ever see big waves in her lifetime. ;)

15. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

I know, but shouldn't a yacht look yachty? Otherwise....

[​IMG]

.....that has a lot more bling and eye candy attraction.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.