Which Uni?

Discussion in 'Education' started by greekshorty555, May 20, 2009.

1. greekshorty555

greekshorty555 New Member

Hello, i'm a high school student in France and i have applied to England for Naval Architecture and marine engineering. I have been accepted at Southampton University, Newcastle , UCL and strathclyde..but i don't know which one is the best. My father went to Newcastle and at that time he said it was considered the best for naval architecture however recently i have been hearing that Southampton is the best out of the 4 and UCL isn't bad either. Can anyone help me?
    Thank you!! x

2. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

i also need the same info ... any one inform me? are they also good for Msc ?

3. member 22129

member 22129 Previous Member

choose the best

That depends upon your area of intrest. Infact if u r enrolling for marine engineering course Strathclyde or univ. of glasgow are the best and more over the courses in this university are associated with RINA. Courses like boat building, yacht related course are most famous in South Hampton.

I too need some advice.. i got an offer from strathclyde. But now the situation is too worst due to recession as my friends n collegues said to me. But i m more intrested to do Marine Engineering. Now i'm working as a Design Engineer with a ship designing firm. So plz anyone can give some advice, shall i quit my job and take the course or continue with the job??

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

greekshorty555

I went to Southampton, excellent Uni, excellent course.
    UCL is very much heavy engineering based, because that is where the RCNC guys are trained. Strathclyde focuses on the offshore industry (not unsurprising) and Newcastle is also excellent, but over recent years has been "pipped" by Southampton.

Newcastle has an excellent nightlife...but bloody cold.
    Southampton has a good nightlife, but not as good as Newcastle.

I would place
    1) Southampton
    2)Newcastle
    3)UCL
    4)Strathclyde.

5. greekshorty555

Thank you for your advice, it has helped me very much!

6. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

greekshorty555

Well, good luck at .....Southampton then perhaps.??

7. greekshorty555

Yes I put Southampton as my firm choice and Newcastle as my insurance.. but is still need to get the marks on my exams to get in. Thanks again!

8. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

good luck, getting in and studying :)

9. member 22129

Need Advice

Hello Mr. Ad Hoc
    Can u give me any advice for my above mentioned query..

10. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Prasanthyerneni

Can you be a bit clearer please? Since it seems a bit confusing what you are saying and what you are asking.

11. member 22129

Advice required

Oh so sorry Mr. Ad hoc

Basically i am Mechanical Engineer working with a ship designing firm and i have an intrest to do Master degree and i got the offer also...
    But my friends who are working in UK are suggesting to not quit the job due to this recesion and the situation in the UK is not good. So i am in a confusing state to take the further step.
    Hope u understood ? ?

12. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Pr..ni

Well, if you can afford to do the Master degree, and would really like to do it, then i would continue and apply and take the course. Since once the recession is over, and it will be one day, you will have a head start in going further forward, as you will ahve your Masters and some working experience.

If you do decided to go...and after you finish you cannot find a job, does that trouble you???..however, is there any guarantee you can remain working in your present company for many years, is there?

13. member 22129

Thankq

Sir
    First of all thankq for ur valuable suggestion.
    I am not at all happy with the present job... if i did not get a job immediately after my course completion might not a problem. But for a long period i cannot sustain from the financial matters. However i hope i can manage by doing part time jobs. But that is not what i want offcourse a marine engineeer wants ?

Sir U can call me Nani..

Thankq very much for spending ur time for me

14. Jenny Giles

Jenny Giles Perpetual Student

I've always liked courses that are supported by good experimental facilities.
    Which of the Universities mentioned so far have good towing tanks and other paraphernalia?

15. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.