crazy idea???

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by terabika, Aug 20, 2005.

1. terabika

terabika Junior Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, I have a 31ft westerly longbow. She was sunk and now is up. I need a longer boat. I do not have the money so I propose to cut shiloh in two at the fullest part under the water line of the hull. at this point the water flows parrallel to the waterline. I then hope to spread her for and aft sections some ten feet and fill this space in with mutible layers of 1/4 inch plywood epoxied to eachother ( I use this because it is easier to curve thinner wood. there will be no attemptat compound curvature. SO, in profile she will have a ten foot flat section. I will glass over this with some number (I am thinking thre now)of layers of epoxy inside and out. I will use common exteior grade playwood and layer it up to a thickness of 1.5 inches to be sure it is strong enough. This should more than compensate for the voids in wood. Exterior 1/4 inch is 10 bucks a sheat, marine is 40, thats why! 1 foot of overlap inside and a scarf on the outside will ensurebonding. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Yes, it is wayyyy cheaper then buying a 41ft boat and it should be faster as its hull length to beam ratio will be thin and it will still be wayyy lighter than comparable boats. She has a 4k lb keel I will reinstall and make lower for a draft of 6 ft or so...toying with idea of retractable. thanks! :cool:

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Get an expert for this one - it can be done in steel but they always look dodgy as to a tupperware job, guesss it's sunk once so another sinking won't hurt her?!

3. terabika

terabika Junior Member

no bucks

dont have bucks for an expert! but, 3 ft is not that much and as long as joint is strong wnough....may not be the perfectly balanced boat but May sailing on craft with non stock sails and such leads me to believe this is not as important as some make it out to be....they have to keep themselves important right? polinesions seemed to do Ok...

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Crazy idea ???

If my memory serves me aright they cut the R101 in half to add a further section... Look what happened to her.
    Bad idea. :cool:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.