New boat guy here/ need advise on books/video? 2 boats I am looking at/ pics

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by LAWFISH, Nov 15, 2006.

1. LAWFISH

LAWFISH Junior Member

Just wanted to say hi first of all. I am NOT A BOAT GUY, yet. I build hotrods on the side and am a full time police officer for the next 2 years until I retire. I have a 3500 sq ft shop detatched to my home and build muscle cars,, IE mopars, Cudas, challengers, roadrunners, ect. here www.smithvalleymopars.com

I have always liked the wooden boats like Chris craft, ect. I live in Northern Nevada, near Lake Tahoe and am moving up to 175 acres I have in Cambridge Idaho when I retire and will build a 5400 sq ft shop before moving.

However, I grew up near Newport Beach when I was a kid and loved the boats and worked as a deck hand out of a sport fishing business as a kid.

I am going to buy/ build a couple of wooden boats. I am in the market for a builder and want to do it myself. I have a few questions because I have zero knowledge inthis field. However I want to build a cruiser for a nearby lake in Idaho when I move.

Are the certain boats I should stay away from? I want a Chris craft but have found a Trojan/ 1957 Runabout pretty cheap. It runs and needs restoration and is all there, including trailer.

Where does one buy supplies at an affordable rtpice. Are most supplies bought locally or via the internet, ect, depending on what your purchasing? IE wood, ect.

Are there any specific tools needed. I own everything needed for metal work but I dont know squat about wood.

What to look for in a boat.???? what to stay away from?

I tend to find deals, always have and always will-----on cars that is. But I know what every piece of every mopar is worth and how not to get burned on a car. I dont know what to look for in a boat.

What boat wooden/ restoration book and or videos can you reccomend?

I keep seeing one by Dannenberg(sp) all over, is this a good one? is there a nice video out there?

Are there any wooden boat guys from my area out there? Maybe in Tahoe?

In any case, I will be lurking around here if nothign else.

I also have a quesiton regarding a "Replica" 1931 Chris Craft 3 seater. I found one very cheap. I guess it was made in the 80s? It looks like an old school boat. This boat is damaged beyond repair for what its worth and was going to buy it very cheap in the 1K range to make a bar out of it for a new home I am building. The hull is garbage but the deck is decent and needs to be restored. Is this taboo, making a boat into a bar for a new home. The owner informed me that its way beyond repair due to rot and would cost way more than what its worth due to it being a replica. I HAVE NO IDEA, I know what lumber and material costs and thought it would make a nice interior bar for my home when I move and build a custom home. If I get into these boats like the ars, I could end upwith a lot of them as I am an out of control collector.

I am also looking for some nice art prints for the home, any idea where the best place to find some are?

I have attempted to post a couple of pics of the Trojan and Chris craft below. Any feedback is appreciated.

thanks in advance for any help. its most appreciated. Is the Trojan a decent boat to build and is this replica worth picking up for a grand?

Dave

Trojan
    [​IMG]

chris craft
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LAWFISH

LAWFISH Junior Member

by the way, the trailer is not included in the price for the replica boat. And is there a service for hauling boats or a place to buy a decent trailer/used and what type of trailer for these types of boats.???

Thanks

Dave

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.