Dodger Project

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by wsvoboda, Nov 3, 2011.

1. wsvoboda

wsvoboda Junior Member

Good day to all I have a Hugh Angleman Sea Spirit and want to incorporate a Dodger on her, any Ideas for a dodger on a boat where the hatch is off the Starboard cabin instead of being centered. My main boom is as high as can go where it is attached to the mast and gooseneck which basically gives me 35 inches when it is level and sailing. Behind the Misen Mast is center so the height from deck to top of cabin is 31 inches. on the starboard and port side of the very edge of the cabin top from deck measurement is 25.5 inches. Has to be useable but I need to get in and out of the boat without being super flexable gymnast.

Attached Files:

2. Chuck Losness

Chuck Losness Senior Member

A dodger on your boat presents some challenges. First you will need to build a cover for the companion way hatch and move the main sheet block forward of where the front of the dodger will be. You may have to strengthen the cabin top to be able to move the main sheet block. I would also have the main sheet go forward a short distance to a turning block then back to the cockpit. That way the sheet will be close to the cabin top where it passes through the front of the dodger. And the dodger will interfere with the operation of the winch on the starboard side of the cabin top. You will only be able to crank the winch handle through a partial arch, not a full circle. This is not uncommon. After that it's just a matter of deciding if you want an all cloth dodger, or a hardtop with cloth sides, or a hard dodger. I prefer a hard top with cloth sides. That is what I have on my boat. The top of the dodger will have to have an opening for the mizen mast. Or you could make the aft end of top of the dodger end at the forward edge of the mizen then have a separate cloth top to extend the top of the dodger past the mizen mast. Mostly your choices are how you want the dodger to look and what looks best on your boat.
    By the way, from the photo's your boat looks to be nicely maintained. Good luck with your project.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Difficult layout...mainsheet and the sliding hatch are a problem. Fiberglass Hood the sliding hatch and move the mainsheet would give the most elegant dodger.

4. rlmccook54

rlmccook54 Junior Member

dodger

Good morning,
    For the uninitiated what is a dodger?
    Thanks

5. Sand crab

Sand crab Junior Member

dodger

Dodger is a term used in sailing and sailboats. It is a frame-supported canvas (sometimes with vinyl windows) structure providing a helmsman and other occupants of a sailboat partial protection from harsh weather and seas. It covers part of the cockpit and the entrance (or "companionway") into the interior of the sailboat. One can usually stand under a dodger and be protected from rain, spray and snow travelling straight down or from the front/fore of the craft. There is little protection afforded from elements moving from aft to fore, but since the boat is usually moving forward this is seldom a problem. A similar type of shelter on a boat, without the forward and side protection, is called a Bimini top.

Wikipedia is your friend. I used it alot and still do. BOB
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodger

Attached Files: