Incredible design, the oviparouswoolmilkpig ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by apex1, Mar 17, 2009.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hello Folks,
    today I received a mail with a real incredible design of a solar / wind powered sail / motor boat.
    I would like to show the pictures and sketches here, but:

The file was sent in a power point presentation of about 2mbyte, that is too much to upload here from Turkey.

Who is willing to upload that for me? :?:
    I can easily forward the mail and you load it up here!?

Regards
    Richard

1 person likes this.
  2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Uploaded

I took a liberty to convert the file to PDF format..

Attached Files:

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thank you Teddy!
    Impressive stuff, is´nt it? Reportedly has won a price for most innovative boat design in Japan. I was asked to build it, but which sense has a boat, if all your passengers have to be engineers?

4. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

It's very impressive I got say. :D Wish I could understand turkish to get a better clue of the concept, but hope we get some translation soon.. :D

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Must disappoint you, I do´nt like to learn Turkish and never will! Tämä on minun... spleen..:D
    But the sketches and pictures tell almost all of the story.
    Regards
    Richard

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

With no bouyancy forwarsd to speak of, that nose will bury itself in a steep wave. Aesthetically, its P-51 styling is cool, but it seems the styling is the marketing tool (can you blame the designer?)--- but taken too far, it produces a boat that must conquer physics to actually meet it's design claims.
    The solar panels are so small, compared to what actually would be effective area to charge batteries. I don't see a rotor for wind energy, though it must belong atop the mast. It would have to be the real source of power.
    Real supersonic looking anyway. That bow has to be a boat bow though, not a rocket ship nose. How many boat bows were eliminated from the running because they looked like boats??

1 person likes this.
  7. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Yeah, more form than function, but has some interestion ideas. Tricycle swath hull, Electric drives on pods. Then uses solar and wind. Not a very fast boat, could have a small diesel to drive around. Not a good boat to be out in even mildy rough weather.

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Looks more like Luke Skywalker's X-wing than a P-51, if you ask me....

9. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

Incredible design? As in incredibly bad?

Are those people supposed to be to scale? Are those wings supposed to provide any kind of useful driving force in less than force ten? What on earth is that exaggeration of draft supposed to represent on that size boat? On other sites it says this is supposed to be a fuel free boat. Who, WHO? Could possibly have designed this boat with those minuscule photon catchers? You could leave it charging at anchor for a week and then sail it around slowly for an afternoon. Not very practical.

What about the rendering? Notice how it just sprays along in one shot? (page 24 of the pdf) A modest amount of experience with renewable energy systems and power requirements for boats makes this visualization beyond absurd.Whoever rendered this has no idea of how sailboats work, how foils should look. And what about those twin massive headlights? When you use renewable energy there is no room in the equation for frivolous *&^%$#.....
    As if headlights are of any kind of practical use at sea.

How much was spent on all those renderings and animations? For a boat that will never be built?

Environmental? Consider the embodied energy of this boat. Consider it fully unseaworthiness (few sailing opps) . That makes for a very low return on the energy investment of building it. In fact one bound to be perpetually negative.

Before i fill up the whole page with my rantings let me just say that i am heavily invested in sustainable energy systems, and that is why these kinds of nonsense gimmicks annoy me. All that can be hoped to achieve is delay the process of transition. Fossil fuels are running out the sooner we figure out sensible alternatives the better.

This design is not anything like it.

The judges who awarded the prize should get fired and live in the bush with no electricity for a year. Then they'll know what priorities mean.

10. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

come on fellas, the poor fella wass probably an ex scool kid that had this great "vision"......who knows, we all have to dream, or we certainly would not be boatbuilders would we!

11. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

ok i was probably a bit over harsh.

12. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Yep, but also realistic. And you didn't say a word about manufacturing and maintainance costs. It has too many moving parts to be considered mechanically sound and practical, imho. Particularly if one considers the harsh ambient in which this machine is supposed to operate.
    It's a nice excercise of industrial design and little more, imho.

About GreenDot Awards jury, they are all here:
    http://www.greendotawards.com/08/enter/jury.html
    No experts in boat design, sail, propulsion or fluid dynamics, only people involved in renewable energies, sustainability and design.

13. Village_Idiot

Village_Idiot Senior Member

Looks to me like this boat is designed to spend as much time below the waterline as above, hence the wave-piercing design and totally enclosed cabin.

With proper automated heliostats, the solar panels may be quite efficient, although the engineering to automatically heliostat-ize them while underway overwhelms me a bit. :D

14. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

Yes i gave it a fleeting mention in the "embodied energy" part.

As for the judge not being experts in boat design etc , well that's pretty obvious. As for the second part of that sentence i seriously have my doubts. A very simple energy calc reveals there is no where near enough catchment area to effectively operate that boat, and if used as sails it would need a gale to go anywhere.

Also any design needs to be able to justify the various components useful aspect. You saw those propulsive wings, with the revolving cutouts at the ends ? WTF? Did the judges ask 'And what is the design concept behind this element (the wings with rvlvng cutouts) ?' I wonder what the answer is .

Looked 'cool' on the rendering?

I could go on.

I would love to see more sustainable energy boat out there, we 're going to be needing them in real short order. I have nothing against radical concepts but there must be some kind of logic to it.

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

Triple..........
    you may bet why I refused even to think about building it?
    I could lengthen your list of complaints, but it´s not worth.

My intention posting it, was to get more opinions about these ideas of a complete layman.
    Regards
    Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.