The game is afoot

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Boston, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

B.....

Displacement will be 3500 pounds to DWL as a guess (this has nothing to do with actual finished weight of the boat).....midsection about 3.2 sq ft, waterline length about 28.5', cube is 91.2 cubic ft, by .6 as prismatic, is 54.7 cubic * 64 (salt water) = 3502 pounds

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

Don't have this view yet.
    b%20boat.jpg
    Impractical? Complex? It'll be like a woman and he'll love it. (and it'll be cheaper in the long run)

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Q. Can I put a used engine in a new build

a mercedes 300D weighs in at about 600lbs with a bit more HP than I will ever need but its cheap at ~$500 used, top speed ~20knots + but heavy

Kubota with half the HP (42)weighs in at 300lbs and costs me about $4k new, top speed 13knots max ( kinda pricey )

two Yanmar 13.4HP which are at least kinda cheap at $800 a pop, weighs in at 161lbs each, top speed 11.5 knots max at 3500lb disp.
    and thanks to that thread on belt drives linking them together on a common prop could be pretty easy and take the thrust pressure off the engines. Also the security of two engines rather than one. At a cruse of 7 knots thats under 10HP with a consumption rate of .5 lb/hp I'd be burning less than a gallon an hour

30HP Kubota ?
    Kubota 05 Series D1305-E3B 29HP 210lbs 12knots Max, haven't found a price yet but something tells me its not less than $1600. Although two engines are quite as efficient as one I"m leaning towards the two engine configuration.

15HP Kubota
    Kubota Super Mini Series Z602-E3B 132lbs 9.5knots Max, again no price range, these guys really out to list there prices

I kinda gotta pick an engine and trany set up by the time I set up the molds so I know where to draw in the sleepers.

why do I suspect that at 12 knots this thing would be at its worst squatting posture VS 15knots where it would more likely be up on plane.
    15knots = ~55HP

also looking into a pair of 25HP range Yanmars but so far all of them are turbo or DI,

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Australian market?

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

Bos, I know I can't, but I don't know how Tier ll or wherever we are applies to you. Somebody will know but don't take a chance making the EPA mad until you get it clarified. You might ask your Marine Safety Detachment, USCG, "specifically, may I put this engine in the boat for such and such use?" Where is your MSD? I don't know that either - Galveston? Portland? Seattle? A few minutes on the phone gets you in touch with the right person. Once you get ahold of that person, your correspondance has a destination and will not just get passed along and ignored.

6. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Both Seattle and Portland have MSOs, and I've been told that Seattle is more pleasant to deal with, but that may be long out of date.

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

one of the reason I'm only looking at IDI diesels naturally aspirated is so I can run alternative fuels. I might need a two tank system so I can run diesel in port and WMO once I"m on the water, but either way I gotta figure that one out before I buy an engine/s.

MSO MSD ? dam I still got a lot to learn about the terminology and the bureaucracy. OK so my primary destination is the PNW so who do I call about engine specs for new builds. I could call home port just about anywhere I wanted so I might as well pick one with some easy regs. I have one vote for Seattle, any other suggestions before I start calling around.

should have picts of the new warehouse space up today, assuming everyone makes this mornings meeting. Fingers Crossed.

just looked it up and the Yanmars I found for 8 bills each conform to USA and Cali EPA 2007 for off road CI engines, whatever that means.

8. mark775

mark775 Guest

2007 may not be good enough. I don't even know if they give a rip on a private boat - I simply do not know. In my case, if I went and slid a Jimmy down in in there or something, I would stay tied to the dock until it was removed. I could attack policemen with a crowbar and still be a victim, but if I do anything contrary to the pollution standards, they will send Lon Horiuchi.
    " I still got a lot to learn about the terminology and the bureaucracy" - Wait to they get ahold of healthcare...

9. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

My guess would be that the USCG doesn't care what's powering it so long as it's reliable and doesn't spill oil. EPA are the ones that enforce emission standards, but I think they only get you if you're trying to import the engine, otherwise they only pay attention to manufacturers.

As far as I know the Coast Guard doesn't even look at private boats unless it's a routine safety check, and then they could care less what the engine is.

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

whats an MSO and whats an MSD ?

also I'm not so sure they care what engine I put in, nor am I so sure there is any form of emissions regulations for a pleasure boat.

anyway Mark if you've got some regulations that your under I sure would like to hear what they are and maybe by reading up on them I can determine if they apply to my situation as well. Speaking of which whats tier II

cheers
    B

11. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

MSO is Marine Safety Office, I think MSD is Marine Safety District.

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ok and do they have a website ?

13. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

hmmm I'm not sure if that applies to my situation, I'm not a manufacturer, just some joker with a shop an a pile of wood. But thanks I'll contact them and ask if any of that applies to the one off builder. While I'm sure I gotta have life jackets, lights, fire extinguishers and all that I'm not getting the impression from my NA that they give a rats *** about the engine. I did read something in there about emissions but its not clear if that applies to the one off builder. Still digging through it tho, so thanks for the info.

15. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

That's the impression I got nosing around looking for info. So long as it runs and you're not hauling passengers or cargo, I don't think they care. If there were relevant regulations I think I would have found them, but then again I've been wrong often enough.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.