Impeller design

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Paul Wilson, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Paul Wilson

Paul Wilson New Member

I have been asked to design an impeller, and power unit that will be used to provide a flow to a flume in the new coastal institute facility. The max. flow required is 1 m^3/s. I have considered how flow is achieved in a cavitation tunnel and am interested in finding out some more specific details about the design of such impellers, manufacturers, specifications, sizes etc. basically everything there is to know about designing such a unit.
    Can any kind person help me with finding any relevant information or maybe someone has themself been part of the design of a simillar unit.
    Thank you
    Paul Wilson

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What is a flume? Also, the design depends on whether you want a flexible or rigid impeller.

3. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

A log flume is a trough that carries water and floats logs down the mountain. A gold flume is similar but designed to seperate gold from overburden. A powerhouse flum is a passage designed to give velocity to water to turn generator turbines. Dat's all I know!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Marks

Marks handbook or any source on pumps will have guidlines for impeller design based on NSPH and so on.

I suspect a direct axial flow impeller will be appropriate here.