The Environment: Is it really that bad?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Jimbo1490, Oct 10, 2006.

1. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Longliner - apart from the fact that apparantly parts of them are good to eat they have quite a few uses as any whaling community will tell you (tis a rumour that the American Whalers where some of the best in the world before someone invented a harpoon gun which decimated the whales - if we went back to using hand held harpoons in pulling (rowing) boats I think there would be enough to go round - guns is just to damn comprehensive!:eek:

Oh yes, and of course they do have something for the 'do gooders' of the world to whinge about - not that most of them know bugger all about whales, but they do like to cause trouble ;) (wait until one surfaces alongside you and blows when you are in a 30 foot boat - **** myself did I; you bet):eek:

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Whales where hunted for their fat originally, and something called "ambrosia"??? It was used to make perfume (??), strange because the fat from whales smells quite disgusting.

AMBERGIS, it's called....
    From http://www.savethewhales.org/sperm.html:
    Ambergris is a valuable substance found in the lower intestine of a small percentage of sperm whales and is believed to form around squid beaks. This waxy substance, which is lighter than water and floats, was primarily used as a perfume fixative

Now the meat is a "deli" in Norway, Iceland and Japan.
    There is no need for it, in the same way there is no need for meat from deer or moose.
    Iceland just started hunting whales again after only doing "research" hunting for some years.

I have no strong feelings in this subject, I don't think it's OK to hunt scarce populations of any kind, I think all animals, domestic and wild should e treated with respect, and I think it's sad to kill a young lamb and a baby seal.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.