The end of the world is near....... what Yacht will you build?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wellydeckhand, Jun 16, 2006.

?

What u will choose if seawater rise 50M and u need to find other land but............

1. Monohull Sail Yacht

29.3%
  2. Monohull Motoryacht

4.8%
  3. Monohull Motorsailer

12.3%
  4. Catamaran Sail yacht

17.1%
  5. Catamaran Motoryacht

1.1%
  6. Catamaran Motorsailer

10.8%
  7. Trimaran Sail Yacht

12.0%
  8. Trimaran Motoryacht

1.1%
  9. Trimaran Motorsailer

4.6%
  10. Dont Know?

1.4%
  11. Stay at land and hang on something

0.9%
  12. Find a submarine........ hopefully

4.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

The Antarctic icecap probably wouldn't melt as it's both high and very cold, with the very minor temperature rises predicted.

The Greenland ice cap is a different matter. However there are snippets of information saying that Viking era artifacts are being found as the ice retreats so who knows just how much of that ice has accumulated in the last 800+ years? I'm not familiar with any ice core data that might answer the question, though it likely exists.

As I need approx 1m of sea level rise so I can launch my boat and not a lot of time to have it happen, I'd like things to speed up a little.

PDW

2. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Somewhere I posted the link to the NASA site. Interesting data. Seemed to be the same data spread everywhere - PANIC the ice will flood the world.

Then they point out that while that COULD happen. The only part of Antarctica melting is the western side which is all island - and the ice is in the ocean on the sea floor.

So, the 6,000 foot average has a lot of it sitting on top of the sea bed ..... I they gave the average depth over 1500 feet. So, when Ice melts it shrinks. So, by the time you finish the calculations (less than 1% of the earth's surface) I think that is about 1% of the ocean's surface .... 4500 x .9 = 4050 /100 about 4 feet of total projected rise if the ENTIRE area they are discussing melts.

And as pointed out above, the 10,000 year old ice they talk about in greenland is melting to reveal 1,000 year old settlements ....

I think we are looking at about a 1 foot rise with about 2 degree rise in temps over the next 30 to 60 years.

I remember one story warning us about Venice sinking. OF COURSE IT SINKS ... it was built on stilts on a swamp .... It stinks a little as well.

:cool:

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Also it seems to me left out of this numerology on sea level rise, is that with warm average air temperature, the total amount of gaseous moisture held in the air will also go up. So a significant amount of moisture will actually evaporate into the air. I have actually seen one calculation that shows the sea levels could go down if the temp rose enough to melt the ice caps. You would lose more moisture to evaporation than you gain in melted ice. When the atmosphere is warmed, the relative humidity goes down, which means it can absorb that much more water vapor.

So all this analysis assumes they can accurately measure and know all of the variables, and can put accurate equations to these various elements of atmospheric variables. The earth is not a closed system, so I am rather skeptical than any kind of accurate models can be formulated, there is just too much we do not know. We can not predict the weather with any degree of accuracy more than a few days out, what makes all these experts think they accurately predict all the possible variables? So far they have not been very good at making accurate forecasts, every one they created has failed to be accurate, only because there is just too many variables to consider.

4. myark

myark Senior Member

The United States has become wetter over the 20th century, while the Sahel region of central Africa has become drier. In California, global warming and associated climate change is decreasing the Sierra snow pack and melting it sooner, causing water shortages across the state. Locally, the timing and amount of rainfall may change, potentially resulting in more frequent or heavier storms. This could lead to increased flooding.

Attached Files:

5. Petros

Petros Senior Member

so if warming causes both flooding and water shortages, what kind of boat should we have? a land yacht, or a ocean going one?

will the seal level rise where there is flooding, and than sink where there is droughts?

6. myark

myark Senior Member

I invented Myark amphibious folding trailer barges that can be used on land and water as a fine example pictured when I lived on the Waikato River while it flooded but also I could live on land.
    The barge can have a tent placed on top with food and equipment stored inside the hulls while travelling on land or water.

Attached Files:

7. micah719

micah719 Plotting Dreamer

Hey, the myark amphib barge is brilliant! My first thought on seeing it, was this:

Can you install the trailer wheels such that they fold into each half of the hull when it is folded down flat? Even less stuff to haul about...

8. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

The best survival yacht would be a scaled down model that can be human powered if needed. Venturing out on a yacht means you must pack and/or filter salt water for hydration, not to mention deal with maintaining such a large boat. While others are preparing I will be venturing down the coastline, seeking tributaries, filtering fresh water, hunting, fishing and thriving off of the land in nothing other than a sea kayak. They are light, portable and can be paddled in oceans, lakes and rivers. When it comes to logistics and survival having one is a must have if you ask me. They also make ideal water vehicles to explore. You can drag them over the ice and use them as a sled too.

In short: Down with the notion of a yacht. In with the notion of a sea kayak (or canoe, but not as seaworthy unless you have a spray deck). Natives for thousands of years have used them. Make multiple boats or larger boats to suit small groups. Outrigger canoes are great for warmer climates. Colder climates need kayaks or sail canoes with spray decks.

The only exception would be the need to evacuate to another continent. In that case a sailing yacht would be a good choice.

9. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Natives paddling canoes were wiped out by Americans carrying guns.

Hate to say it, but You'd be gunned down by patriots before you even got out of the creek

10. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

I don't know Michael, a yacht stands no chance against a ship with canons, etc. in any case so it would be a futile endeavor. Beyond this, warships in the harbor make easy bait for special forces who are trained to sink them. These forces travel and survive in just the craft I'm talking about.

Any smart person would watch the pirate battle from the comfort of the shore while nibbling a roasted bird, munching bananas and sipping rum. Here's a good portable sea kayak that's ideally suited.

http://www.longhaulfoldingkayaks.com/boats/commando.php

There are various companies making such boats and you can repair them using wooden frames, duct tape, stitched plastic sheeting or animal hide and many other materials. You can also easily hide or bury these boats and retrieve them later on if you want to head inland for whatever reason.

This is all stuff taught to special forces troops so if you want to really survive and thrive you might want to read up.

11. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Certainly a yacht at sea is a sitting target for sophisticated enemies.

Remember...when things start looking bad...hundreds of millions of your enemies will be on the coast...the open sea and undesirable locations will have a much lower zombie density and be safer.

North of Canada would be a good place to hang out

12. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

The zombie apocalypse...who will get the last bag of Doritos? That is the key question. Once the Doritos run out the end of the earth will be near.

13. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Interesting take on history - for a Spaniard.

PDW

14. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I imagine TEOTWAWKI scenario more a collapsed cultural catastrophe than a searise or radiation disaster.

In the USA, we have americans and american'ts.
    If and when the government collapses from bankruptcy or other financial disaster, Those with stockpiles of survival food/gear will be targets for the desperate.
    haven't noticed much discussion on hideability of a yacht.

My thought is TWO trailerable monohull electric or D/E motorsailors. Batteries chargeable over several days by solar panels or TEG or a genset on biodiesel.

The TWO boats can be rafted together into catamaran style as a larger accommodation and storage facility.
    Shallow draft to hide in swamps and marshes.
    trailerable for quick relocation during original bugout.

Easier to move a smaller and narrower boat up narrow streams and bayous.

And each boat becomes the life boat if the sister is destroyed.

Fishing hunting scavenging skills important.

Can't learn these from books.

Have to practice. Wetlands rich in game, fish, and wild edible plants. And fairly impassable EXCEPT by boat. Easy to hide in.
    The Seminoles hid from the US Army in the glades and never defeated!

Junk sails, traditional style are a good choice.

The cloth panel between each pair of horizontal battens is laced to battens, not sewn to other panels.

easier to repair or replace a single panel.
    And junk rig is efficirent and powerfull.

It just so happens I have TWO Albin 25s.

Now why would I have bought 2 of those ?

15. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member