The end of the world is near....... what Yacht will you build?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wellydeckhand, Jun 16, 2006.

?

What u will choose if seawater rise 50M and u need to find other land but............

1. Monohull Sail Yacht

29.3%
  2. Monohull Motoryacht

4.8%
  3. Monohull Motorsailer

12.3%
  4. Catamaran Sail yacht

17.1%
  5. Catamaran Motoryacht

1.1%
  6. Catamaran Motorsailer

10.8%
  7. Trimaran Sail Yacht

12.0%
  8. Trimaran Motoryacht

1.1%
  9. Trimaran Motorsailer

4.6%
  10. Dont Know?

1.4%
  11. Stay at land and hang on something

0.9%
  12. Find a submarine........ hopefully

4.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wardd

wardd Senior Member

start thinning with the agw deniers

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Whew! I get to live since I'm a "skeptic." :D;)

3. wardd

wardd Senior Member

that yacht that went to the bottom of the challenger deep

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

That herd is going to be getting thinned one way or another. I'd think acting proactively would be preferable to general misery and starvation. Look at what the advent of European society did to Africa for instance. Creation of borders eliminated the migratory nature of many of the tribes. Modern medicine allowed for much higher survival rates. As populations grew food was subsidized and finally once the cyclical drought and subsequent famine hit, they died in droves. The ones that survived were crippled by the debt incurred but one relief effort after another. Problem is there is no returning there system to one what worked without an end of the world scenario. Yes less people but also a much better standard of living.

In the US there is the issue of the aging population and how its going to pay for all the care needed to provide for them. System doesn't work when there are two retiree's for each payed worker and at that making squat because of some corporate shyster who shipped all the good paying jobs over to China

the end of the world won't just be an environmental calamity but a social and economic one as well. The only end to the road we are being led down is for a privileged few to end up standing on the ruins. A yacht might just be one of the few escapes. I'm not even convinced a land based cooperative of like minded individuals is going to be able to survive the panic.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You guys keep chasing that coastline as it races away downhill. I'm gonna find me a nice glacial melt stream.

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

OK I just had to

thing so many people seem to want to ignore is that the environment will change so dramatically in a 50m sea rise event that it simply wont be able to support oxygen dependent animals over a few pounds in weight

7. hoytedow

There is no 50m sea rise event coming. That is total nonsense. Florida land mass along with North America land mass will actually increase in m2 as ice caps grow, increasing rotational velocity and shortening our days.

8. hoytedow

Of course, the fire and brimstone will probably melt it all after a while. Hope you have your asbestos underwear.

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

bust out those party horns and let fly the confetti Hoyt you got one right ( although that bit about cooling is completely unfounded ). Best case is 50cm over the next hundred years, worst case is about twice that or 1 meter. Over the next few hundred years best case is about 5 meters and no one likes to talk about worst case but its not more than twice that.

I've seen topographical predictions of a 50m rise but its not very realistic

but
    at 50cm 10% of the worlds population is seriously effected so imagine what the more likely 1m will do

10. masalai

masalai masalai

The economic crisis will be the end of "western societies", anything else will help speed the total demise by persistent intense weather events as a consequence of climate change (cooling or warming) but remember that the temperature of the OCEANS determine most global climate...

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

hey Mass check out this flicker

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...0110216?page=2

interesting point you raise, the end of the world is far more likely going to be initially a financial calamity wherein gubments fail and the delineation of rich and poor become so stark as to preclude the existence of a middle class. Means one gigantic welfare state dependent on the generosity of those who have proven themselves least generous.

the environmental disaster will result from a hungry populous eating everything they can get there hands on regardless of its environmental standing and in there burning anything available to cook on and heat there homes.

by 2050 we are scheduled to have 9 billion mouths to feed and yet we already have trouble feeding 7 billion now, this means more land dedicated to production while at the same time we are loosing unprecedented amounts of land to production because of pollution and over farming. This new land is substandard as all prime land is presently under production or leaving production so proportionately greater amounts of land will be needed to feed these additional 2 billion mouths. We have no way to irrigate that substandard land nor will we have cheap fuel to run the machinery of modern farming with IE very expensive food for a very poor world. Doesn't work

in the end I agree it starts with a financial wobble, but the final gasp is environmental

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Boston,
    You do not have to tell me...
    What do you think I am preparing?
    Self sustainability in as remote a place near the tropics as one can find ... A pre-existing community of about 250 to 1000 people would mean that they would likely appreciate some "infrastructure" that will be USEFUL and NEEDED ... and appreciated ... hopefully ensuring a mutual agreement, satisfying to all...

Make our own "fertilizer" (see "terra-preta", mixed with compost)...
    Coconut oil for local fuel needs, and
    Enhance the soils by adding the terra-preta-mix...
    Using 'Bill Mollisons' Permaculture Land Management Processes...
    and generating some electricity using PV panels and AGM batteries...

13. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

It's bound to happen one day. Fortunately humans will kill each other by then and the Earth wil be free again from the worst pest ever, so no body will give a damn about the ice age.

If only I could live long enough to see and enjoy that freedom...

14. hoytedow

Your gang is the one that bemoans the presence of too many souls on the face of the earth. What do you care if 10% become floaters? That still leaves 4.5 bil or some such number for enslavement in weird liberal social schemes like fart powered bicycles or some such nonsense.

15. hoytedow

Everybody needs to quit sticking their aquarium heaters in the sea.