The end of the world is near....... what Yacht will you build?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wellydeckhand, Jun 16, 2006.

?

What u will choose if seawater rise 50M and u need to find other land but............

1. Monohull Sail Yacht

29.3%
  2. Monohull Motoryacht

4.8%
  3. Monohull Motorsailer

12.3%
  4. Catamaran Sail yacht

17.1%
  5. Catamaran Motoryacht

1.1%
  6. Catamaran Motorsailer

10.8%
  7. Trimaran Sail Yacht

12.0%
  8. Trimaran Motoryacht

1.1%
  9. Trimaran Motorsailer

4.6%
  10. Dont Know?

1.4%
  11. Stay at land and hang on something

0.9%
  12. Find a submarine........ hopefully

4.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

You'er...... talking about Nirwana platform?

It is possible to have equipment and stuff to form a small servicable self contained platform......... an oil tanker or cargo ship might be a better option unless you need 3000 people sunbathing on an outdated air-caft carrier.....:)

A smaller version of a sea private prowler with equipemnt option to support other luxury yacht or simply a family ultimate everything trashed in it ..... would be the ex-US Navy seal guys design....... Shadow Paladin. Great survival thought without too much arsenal nonsense......:D:D:D

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For me? I have thought to have one boat loaded with fuel, food on a powerful straight forward simple TUG-Boat pulling my favourite true sailing yachts with all the rest of the neccesity.......... run as fast and far to my next destination as possible before the logistic and fuel run out........

Then after the TUG wont move anymore I would salvage as many avaliable items from her and shipweck her in a remote beach......... just in case I will pass her on my way to other place...... meaning more stuff to find later....

The Tug once taken care of ,I would then furl the sail and continue with my journey with my sailing yacht that would be on wind and partly solar powered.

That's what I have thought yesterday...... before I fell asleep, yes I do sleep like normal human........ not infront of the Notebook:D:D:D

WDH

Attached Files:

2. Wellydeckhand

Shadow Paladin

Here are some photo of SHADOW PALADIN great boat...... I think a harrier can land and store in the garage?:D:D:D

This type of boat way over my budget.

WDH

Attached Files:

3. Wellydeckhand

All boats all good as long as they can get out before the troubles come:D:D:D

Attached Files:

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I must cast an official protest to this thread and it's blatant discrimination against amphibious hovercraft and being excluded from the poll.

You see when the great climate change causes the polar caps to melt; this will cause the seas to rise, which will alter the jet streams and water currents. This will result in a new ice age; all the water will freeze at very high levels. There will be no up to date water charts as things will change far to quickly and institution/governments shall fall worldwide.

When the great flood comes, and it will, only the hovercraft will be able to cope with land travel (short cuts in may cases), mud flats, newly flooded shallow areas filled with debris (including urban centers) and vast oceans.

Survival of the fittest during periods of rapid change means survival of those who can adapt, and extinction of those who cannot.

Mad max on a hovercraft.............just picture it.:D

5. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Float Holland

A Dutch scientist once had a plan to heighten the shoreline of Holland by injecting industrial waste acids in the lime layers below the coast. The product of acid an lime is gypsum and has a higher volume then lime thereby raising the shoreline .

A propose to add some other waste products to make the gypsum "bubble" extra before it solidifies thus creating foam that could carry a large piece of land. Some concrete reinforcement may be necessary to strengten the edges.

Advantage, we could float our county to the most favourable climate zone.
    Many countries near the shore have lime layers so could do the same.

(edit)
    Before floating the land has to be dug loose from surrounding and underlaying soil. I propose water jet cutting.

6. yipster

yipster designer

did not hear we can float to nicer klimats that way but sounds good
    the injection and chemical expansion idea in the waddensea i thought was a good one

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Saving your life and that of your emmediate family in a boat built to survive world flooding has already been done. 300 cubits long I think it was, Noha was his name, this was a long time ago of course. The biggest problem Noha had was all the animals he decided to take along with him. Had he had a methane engine of some sorts he would have been laughing, as it was the storey ended with him grounding out half way up a mountain in Iraq.
    I have heard some consider cost of such a vessel,---why? you wont be paying for it would you? Personaly when the time came i would just wander down the local marina and pick one out, after inviting some freinds from the strip club at the end of our street. One has to consider occupiyng ones time whilst lazily drifting from continent to continent, and I might need female companionship if it was later found to be necessary to start a new generation for the planet. Im not sure what the wife and kids plans are.

8. Wellydeckhand

Actually, it is a great possibility , a week ago talk to 2 dutch guys on the sea level of Holland and their unqiue way of reclaim land....... The 3 layer of soil fill in that push out toward the sea and addition inner layer reapply..... very interesting......:) I think the Holland are the cutting edge on this thing as it been happening for ages..........

Another complain about Holland that they have approx. only 60 km of Beach....... I was expecting more girls sunbathing:D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Kach22i,

I respect the Hovercraft but it can be a extend of the rescue or survival rugged sea vessel..... meaning supporting act not on its own...... You know your hoverbaby burn fuel like Mad? hence the Mad Max sydrome:D:D:D

Mad Max is landlocked movie accidently thought by Australian?............ How's Tina T?:)

This Thread is a thoerical type of subject..... with vague reference to big shot with no harm intented to any nation OK :) My apologise........... if offended.

Wanna show off some picture of your survival best model?:p

WDH

9. Wellydeckhand

I hope your wife is reading your post.....:D:D:D

I dont advise you go to a marina in an emergency and robbed a boat? Anyway if you dont in a holocaust, I think hundred will try.......... That why I parked mine in my shipyard up the river.......... safer option.:)

The ratio is at least 1 male:3 female........ if you wanna populate a small island....... for the country you need 4male:4female the world? well X100 ok:p

Can you imagine a boat full of woman only or male only wanna build a world? That is Mission Impossible.........:)

WDH

10. kach22i

kach22i Architect

1. Noha's arc landed 2/3's of the way up on Mt. Ararat in Ancient Armenia, I'm half Armenian so I can tell you some history. The location is in "modern" Turkey, in 1915 the Turks (last days of the Ottoman Empire) chased the Armenians out of their homeland and were put on a death march, those who could not/would not leave were murdered. The Kurds helped out with this extermination and were rewarded with the land, only to be murdered and chased out in more recent times (flooded out in some cases - there's irony).

2. Fuel consumption of a hovercraft is less than that of a boat, and yes a hovercaft can just float on the water like a boat. However in rough seas I would have one which could also act like a submarine by perhaps flooding the lift chamber/ductwork - this has never been done just a crazy idea which I may have to do myself one day.

Found this to help put it in perspective:

http://www.willieboats.com/sportjet.htm
    Old school design (kind of ugly-homebuilt) hovercraft:
    http://www.hovercraft.com/15Cspecs.html
    Another type of hovercraft:
    http://www.aircommander.com/4.html
    3. Floating land: So crazy it might work, a floating city in the sky "Flash Gordon" style would also be cool. The devil is in the details.:)

11. hansp77

hansp77

Ok apart from just lazily posting a picture from another thread, the idea I had for that old aircraft carrier is that you would sort of fill up the ballasts and chambers with some sort of foam for floatation, and then gradually cut the thing to peices, lightening the load as it degrades, and using all the peices for welding up new boats.
    Eventually this would break up into floating islands.
    You would have to consider that unless a place was made where enough specialization and complex processes could occur, then it would only be a matter of time before your boat/submarine/hovercrafrt would simply sink and you swim away.
    Without land, floating cities would the heart of survival and commerce.

Of course, 'without land' would be very unlikely.
    There is simply not enough water on this planet for that.
    Maybe Noah was a little too prone to exageration.

What really happened was that it was raining for about a week and half, and noah got the shits from staying in doors too long, so talked the wife into spending the weekend out on the lake, and had to take his dog and cat to feed them, and then got lost on the lake (drunk) and when the rain had stopped in the risen waters beached his boat in his neighbors paddock (Mr Ararat's) and told a grand story about his adventures to explain the damage to Ararat's shed (which he had parked on).

God told me to do it?
    That olde excuse!!

12. kach22i

kach22i Architect

13. DJSwan

DJSwan woodworker

Build a gaint raft out of anything that floats. Armed to the teeth of course. Chow will be soylent red, soylent yellow and introducing new and improved soylent green.:D :D :D

14. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Yep, no water police, no courts................either stay and fight, or run and flee.

Pirates everywhere and no law except the strong take from the weak.

My plan would be to entice raiders to chase my little hover yacht into the shallows where they would run a ground, then I'd salvage what ever was left and sell them as slaves or as shark bait.

Fixing those tender hovercraft skirts way out at sea could be a huge problem though. And without them I'd be tossed about and put up on the rocks myself.

Example from 1962:
    http://www.rhyl.lifeboat.btinternet.co.uk/hovercraft.htm

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oh, Oh, I want to have another go,--Ok maybe I wouldnt go and steal a boat from the marina then. I was thinking maybe as you guys are talking serious and I wasnt then I would probably get 4 of those dumb barges that shift sand down the Malacca straights to singapore, These are about the size of a tennis court. Strap them together and fill one with sand as a beach. I would need a fork lift truck to handle the beer supplies and I would still take some friends from the strip club,---no wait I would take the whole strip club and stand it on the one of barges. We could then -- me and the girls-- build another building and use this for --ohh say --a bar. this would mean then that I would be on holiday for the rest of my life. Not forgeting of course some deck chairs and tables,--Oh and some glasses with little umbrella type twiddling sticks for the girls gin and tonics. I might also ,if I have time during loading take a few gallons of fuel with me in case I bump into one of you guys with and engine.
    Maybe we could trade, you know swop stuff, But I probably wouldnt have anything you wanted, there would just be me and the girls and 50 tons of beer.