The end of the world is near....... what Yacht will you build?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wellydeckhand, Jun 16, 2006.

?

What u will choose if seawater rise 50M and u need to find other land but............

1. Monohull Sail Yacht

29.3%
  2. Monohull Motoryacht

4.8%
  3. Monohull Motorsailer

12.3%
  4. Catamaran Sail yacht

17.1%
  5. Catamaran Motoryacht

1.1%
  6. Catamaran Motorsailer

10.8%
  7. Trimaran Sail Yacht

12.0%
  8. Trimaran Motoryacht

1.1%
  9. Trimaran Motorsailer

4.6%
  10. Dont Know?

1.4%
  11. Stay at land and hang on something

0.9%
  12. Find a submarine........ hopefully

4.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Ok gentlement,

We heard it all, Japaness think the island will sink one day, they are well equipped with senario of big daddy earthquake.......... and thinks the ice might melt and seawater rise 50M:eek: yup 50 M

That's why WATERWORLD movie sell like cookies........:)

Now if we gonna built something of a yacht......... why not add in some insurance and make it a fool proof the end of the world version?:D

Now you need expert in this field and fools that would jump and build it....... maybe like me?:D my own small version.

This thread is to explore what characteristic within a survival fool proof yachts for any situation....... excluding the chance the earth blew up of course....... then we need the startrek....... but thats another different thread:D:D:D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. What type ? motoryacht, motorsailor, sail yachts at what size?
    2. How many people you gonna carry?(exclude your mother-in-law:rolleyes: )
    3. What facilities and storage option?
    4. What special equipment and tools to carry along?
    5. Fuel and water problem? Medical nightmare? Like having a baby born.
    6. Method of self defense against other pirate surviver that think your dogs cute and wanna exchange boat with you?
    7. Maintain sainity during journey from escape.....
    8. Finding fresh provision......
    9. Good chance of finding land with 50M addition to water level........ cant find Australia.....

See..... these are just some thought and ideas just to prepare ourself properly if Bush wanna press the red button:) No heart feeling gentlemen.

Wellydeckhand

1 person likes this.
  2. Wellydeckhand

1.Well a yacht for survival would be a twin keel or something shallow draft but able to sit on the beach(Hopefully)

2.Unstayed sail....... would be good option, maintaince and able to be one man operation....... No complex sail configuration ( when u are sick the next man might not be able to sail her)

3.Optimal ratio speed and space( Depend on the owner)

4.Able to go upstream river and hide in cove.

5.Water-tight design?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This are just a few I think but what is your opinion?

Is there nobody like tougher yachts for survival............ or all looking for luxurious option only?:D

WDH

3. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Tough one.

No doubt I would choose monohull. It will be able to carry more, all things equal. Speed isn't an issue, as I wouldn't want to hit anything while going 20-25 knots in trimaran. There would be no buoys marking them if this happened.

It would be a sailboat, and not too big. The size matters here as well, as I would want to be able to beach it myself.

Also, it would be either shallow draft and/or full keel. I don't want to hit something floating around, while running with a fin keel (reminds me of when we were children and were told not to run with scissors).

It would be "low windage", as the would be less land to hide behind.

Selfstayed? Yes, I think so, but I would propably make it strong enough to be selfstayed and then tack on some stays anyway, modern ropes, precourt etc. It would propably be a balanced lug, twin or triple masted (depending on size).

No tech on board (where would you get spare parts from?)

Solar stills all around (to desalinate seawater).

Plenty of storage space down low.

Tiller steering - less to go wrong.

Wooden spars, klamps and so forth.

Easy access to everything needed.

Very simple layout.

Edit: Water-tight? As in sealed compartements? Propably, but I would want better access than through a 25cm/10inch hole. I want bigger rooms, with actual manholes. That way It can be used for storage as well as you can get in there and check up on it.

4. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I forgot, I would have extremely long oars to go upstream.

The reason for not having an auxilliary is, as mentioned, because of the lack of spare parts in a situation like this, but just the thought of trying to get fuel for one in such a situation makes me want to forgo that and use some oars instead, combined with three big, effective anchors.

You'd be surprised how big a boat you can row.

5. Milan

Milan Senior Member

For rowing big, heavy boat Chinese yuloh would be most effective option.

6. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Sailing tri for sure - gotta outrun the SMOKERS, & special steering winch, & will have gills installed to do salvage & collect soil - it worth enough aqua chits to have a bath & buy tomato bushes ;) .Jeff.(must keep gills secret or will be dissolved in goo)

1 person likes this.
  7. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I was thinking more of a whitehall, shape-wise.

8. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Sailing submarine

My choise would be a sailing submarine.

The sub will enable you to reach flooded recources and beeing underwater seems like a good defensive move agains pirates. The mast would double as a snorkel underwater. For the rest my boat should be as independend on technology as possible. Propulsion underwater is not high on my wish list.

edit:
    (Why are we only allowed to vote for finding a submarine in the poll, can't we vote to build one?)

9. Milan

Milan Senior Member

I wasn't talking about Chinese junk, (although, thinking about it, she would be good choice for post cataclysm world, being very tolerant to sail material, almost anything could be used). Yuloh can be used at any type of boat, only with double enders is a bit difficult. It is one big oar used from the stern of the boat in same way as the westerners scull with one important difference - Chinese use curved handle with a top lashed to the deck by rope. Rope feathers oar blade automatically in good direction and take all the force, so it cost little energy to move the handle sideways. Oar blade isn't taken out of the water, it's constantly moved starboard -leeward and every move propels the boat. It's effective even whit deck high above water, and it's less sensitive to the waves then normal rowing. It's also very maneuverable in tight spaces.

10. Milan

Milan Senior Member

11. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

1 person likes this.
  12. Wellydeckhand

Crazy Senario....... for wild guesswork on yacht

Ok Danish Bagger,

I opt for monohull but was attracted to TRI from the movie WATERWORLD.....

We assume the land was full of virus:!: , war:mad: , savage women:Dex-GF, mad-in-laws:eek: ,tax collectors:( ............. so the sea become a good barrier from those nasty threat...............

We assume investing a fun yacht with a capacity to be a tough nut ready for circumnavigate to a safer zone with nice native women or riches untold:p radiation free of course.

We also think most of the modern futuristic nav. equipment would be unfunctional...... due to remote communication sat shot down during starwar senario and and the earth could be in a blanket of unforgiving dust........ no sunlight...... very hard to navigate.....:confused:

I know this is a sailor bedtime nightmare...... but............ is there a solution to the chaos as it face us with a smilling teeth?

We are therefore talking about Transport system........ choose car or yacht?
    I assume everybody choose car because not enough time to build a yacht in the spur moment of need...... as I have found out from the forum:)

The landlocked guys will be secured by people turning hobby of mimic canibals..... while yacht guys have spare moment drinking rum..... Safewarlus can try VODKA.

Now, some forum member have put their poll and I respect them....... at least they know what they want........ Seaspark...... I have seen someone try to sell ex-american navy submarine to ex-sadam tin head family........ maybe u get a bargain:) e-commercial.

I am still drinking my brandy and imagine the worst senario...... anybody who wanna correct me feel free to do so....... This IS A FREE BAD A55 DISCUSSION about the futuristic toughed made option on our beloved home builded yachts.....................

Dont think about warship or aircraft carrier option....... this is about our humble stupid homemade yacht......... I love yacht:D:D:D

Come on throw some nasty bit ......... dont look or sound like a sissy.......;)

WDH:cool:

Edit: could have a couple of POW for oarsman...... AKA slave?

13. Wellydeckhand

Sub-option?

Errr............Milan and seaspark thanks for the link:)

The sub ...... containerable and could be embedded into the Trimaran and when the SMOKERS come we just let them have the surface shell...... we dive down and down? The SUB will be the middle hull of Trimaran?

That is a picture of a chinese Oar taken from other thread in the forum:)

Attached Files:

14. hansp77

hansp77

Now if we were in serious waterworld, and not just a 50 meter rise, then we would need something like this old thing.
    It might move slowly with the help of a few kites, but mainly some floating things like this could be converted into floating cities, and most importantly, floating boat yards, factories, refineries etc.. Biodeisal out of cod liver oil, to power the generators to weld my titanium hull maybe??
    I would still want my lovey little boat (little compared to this at least), though I haven't decided on the specifics yet, but without the internet up, we'd all need somewhere to meet no?
    Where else am I going to find out the new techniques of laquering my fancy woodwork (or by this time it might be bonework or something) with the latest seal blubber products?

Attached Files:

15. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

For necessity - whatever I could get!

for choice - large well armed and armoured plodder, with engine using home made biodesiel or steam (always ditch the thing if no longer of use! it also can be used for spares one way or another - anybody ever ready the British Merchant Navy rules for survival in a motor lifeboat? "run engine until you run out of fuel and then DITCH engine, gives you more room in boat") Nice collection of hydroculture food, and weapons to help others think along your lines - if they are bigger it's to help you survive, if they are smaller its so you can survive better with their gear - this is about survival not having a party! the less of them the more for you! (and yours) there's a time to be nice - sorry thats the way it is!

never mind this 'the meek will inherit the earth bit

"yeah tho I walk thro the valley of death I will fear no evil 'cos I am the meanest son of a ***** in the valley:D