New B from San Diego, Ca

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by robk, Aug 30, 2006.

1. robk

robk Junior Member

Hi folks,

This forum seems to be more my style...so I registered.

I've been to other "yacht" sites and it was a bit snooty. This site appears to have a do it yourself attitude and that's what I'm all about.

My name is Rob and I live in La Mesa, Ca. I'm about 2mi from San Diego. I own two small boats right now. One is a freshwater bass boat (crestliner) and the other is a 1998 Mastercraft (ski/wakeboard boat). I've been doing a lot more salt water fishing than ever before. My little Crestliner does great until the wind picks up at 12noon. The five mile ride back to the marina is no fun and the boat is crowded with just three people. So I think I've got my wife on board for an older sportfisher boat. The weather here is average to excellent year round and I see myself doing more and more salt water fishing.

In the one week I've been looking into this I really love the style of the Egg Harbor Sportfisher. 33' at the absolute smallest and 40' at the biggest. I cannot afford new and have seen some really nice late 70's models. The early 70's models are a little hard on the lines and my wife just isn't into it unless it's a slightly more modern look. I saw a 78' 37fter that was awesome.

I close friend of mine has a 40ft Chris Craft. He has advised me to buy a "fixer" Egg Harbor for under $10k (they are out there)and re-do the entire thing. He says if I spend $60k on someone elses boat with old interior and 1000hr engines I'm gonna have to redo it all anyways.

Any thoughts our suggestions?

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Welcome aboard, Rob :)
    A freshwater bass boat to a 30-40' Egg Harbour is quite a jump. I take it you're OK with the cost of mooring and fuel? (Both are big on a 37' powerboat.)
    Whether a total refit on an older boat is right for you, depends mainly on how comfortable you are with the work. It sounds like you'd be doing this DIY, which is possible if you already have some experience with carpentry, mechanicals, etc. It will probably take a while though.
    One thing I would absolutely insist on is that your prospective boat gets a thorough survey, by a respected independent surveyor, before any wallets are opened. Survey results in hand, you're much less likely to be stuck with a useless scrap hull than if you buy on your own.

3. robk

robk Junior Member

Thanks for the reply,

I'm fully aware of boat slip costs out here. I've got a friend with a 40ft Chris Craft and he will keep me on track. Most definately I will be getting a survey.

I actually plan contracting out most of the work. This may draw some gasps here. I've read more posts here and this is definately a DIY site. In order for me to get on the water and fish I really have no choice but to hire someone.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Nothing wrong with contracting stuff out, so long as you're careful about how you do it. Such as getting references from a yard's satisfied customers, etc. There are still some sketchy fly-by-night contractors around, it really pays to check.

5. robk

robk Junior Member

I plan on taking my time.

I'm gonna treat it like a home remodel. Time is no issue. This could take a year or two just to find the boat.

I have found that most contractors are great tradesmen and terrible businessmen. They love their craft but many have no business ever opening a business.

6. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Hey! Is he talking about me?? :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.