The Efficiency of Sails

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by D'ARTOIS, Aug 25, 2005.

1. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

None, Skippy, just a change in style during the late '70's. In this period, Maas had built many Admirals Cuppers, for the happy few Belgian and Dutch clients, the 40' is amazingly fast, I could keep in line with the "Goodwin" a well known early '80 one tonner. He had a racing version of the 40p that was complete flush-decked, had a very deep keel for a 40" (almost 8') - a few of those are still racing.

2. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Dear D'Artois:

Thanks for the pics. I must admit I'm surprised. The boat looks like its got a lot of IOR influence. And thats supposed to be the kiss of death for seaworthiness (I read Marchaj's book). Just goes to show there is more than one way to get seaworthiness.

I suppose there are more than a few so called full keeled boats that are heavy helmed brutes. I, myself, prefer the longer keelled boats for their imagined better distribution of ballast loads and, usually, shallower draft, But theres plenty of room in the sea for everybody.

If you can. Could you get me a picture or drawing of the underbody? I would be interest to see its keel/rudder arrangement.

Thanks again for the pictures.

Bob

3. Milan

Milan Senior Member

Dutch designers

I couldn't find a lot about F. Maas on the net but here are Dick Koopmans and Gerard Dijkstra:

http://www.dickkoopmans.nl/
    http://www.gdnp.nl/

They both have very extensive sailing experience, G. Dijkstra raced a lot and D. Koopmans and his wife are long distance cruisers, sailing a lot in higher latitudes. They use different underwater appendages for different designs. but for his personal boats - Dick choose a long, shallow keel with unballasted centerboard and Gerard, (Bestevaer 53ST - I like that design a lot), relatively shallow bulbed fin in combination with water ballast tanks. Being Dutch designers, they chose a metal for their personal boats and a lot of their designs.

Milan

4. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Milan: To be precise, Gerard Dijkstra did join a few times the OSTAR (Observer Singlehanded Transatlantic), a bi-annual race from Portmouth to NY; once wth an Ocean 72, a Van De Stadt Design and another time in a boat he designed himself. I know Gerard Dijkstra personally and he is a remarquable designer, with a very comprehensive knowledge of boatsin general. He designed also the restauration of Elisabeth Meyers "J-class" and designed the Clipper "Stad Amsterdam";
    Dick Koopmans is a Dutch designer with a very long reputation of designing exteremly seaworthy and comfortable cruisers. As you described correctly, mostly with a long keel/internal ballast centreboard configuration.
    Dick Koopmans sailed all the oceans and is one of the most expiereienced long-distance sailors I know of.
    That metal - e.g. aluminium and steel are the preferred materials of the dutch designers is logic. The Dutch have the longest tradition to build in steel and aluminium. Koopmans designed also in FRP, like the "Breehorn"series and the "Hutting". I will try to find some pictures of those boats.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.