Yacht design... specifically aesthetics

Discussion in 'Education' started by b_chylin, Dec 13, 2010.

1. b_chylin

b_chylin New Member

Hi,

I'm currently completing a bachelor of industrial design with a specialization in transportation. It is not as much focused on engineering as it is on the actual aesthetics of various products meant to go into manufacturing.

are there any masters programs out there that would not require an engineering degree?

thanks

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

What's your career objective?

3. b_chylin

b_chylin New Member

As a yacht designer.
    Drawing, three dimensional rendering and prototyping etc...

4. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

5. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Subjects related to aesthetics are actually STYLING, not design.

Design is art of combining solutions of technical and aesthetic problems. Not just making a pretty makeover that does not work.

6. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

If you use the Golden section as your guide your designs will conform to universal rules of beauty and function seen thoughout nature.

Many famous artists, architects, and musicians have employed this ratio from the start to produce many of the famous work we know today. Especially in marine design, the golden ratio produces curves that conform to fluid dynamics.

You will find the Golden section is the secret tool being used in the great works of history. The perfect example is Stradivarius violins. Stradivarius went to great lengths to design using the Phi ratio and the resulting benefits clearly show it workes very well.Another example, the Leaning tower of Pisa is built using the Golden Section. Had it not, I am convinced it would have toppled by now but it is strait as a board because it is a very strong design, something just went wrong with the foundation.

Google 'golden section', 'golden mean", 'fibonacci numbers' 'Divine proportion'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. DavidJ

DavidJ Senior Member

Yacht design is a fairly competitive field. There isn't a huge number of jobs and it is very rare to see advertisements for jobs. Likewise there are very few schools specializing in yacht aesthetics. I would recommend drawing, modeling, and rendering tons and tons of boats. Then just start sending your resume/portfolio to every applicable company you can find.

I'd also consider looking into something like Westlawn or the Landing school. They would give you an "all around understanding" of boat design and would show potential employers that you have a strong interest in, and are serious about, the industry. In this regard Westlawn's light program would probably suffice.

I do not know of any industrial design masters focusing specifically on yacht design. However, from what I understand many transportation design programs will let you choose yacht design projects. Google is your friend. Contact schools that interest you and ask if you they have had much experience with yacht design. For example:
    http://www.dh.umu.se/default.asp?highLight=lab&P=2325

Here are the schools I have found that appear to specialize in yacht aesthetics. I know nothing about them but it's a start:
    http://wwwm.coventry.ac.uk/undergraduate/ugstudy/pages/ugft.aspx?itemID=180

http://www.ied.edu/venice/design-school/master-courses/yacht-design-and-construction/DPG1367E

http://www.polidesign.net/myd/en/index.php

There are other programs such as this one at the University of Southampton that don't specifically require an engineering degree to study marine engineering/naval architecture. You may however require some additional prerequisites. You also would not be improving your aesthetics sensibilities much, but it could be a great way to get your foot in the door. You'd be a rare individual with artistic design skills and engineering knowledge.
    http://www.soton.ac.uk/postgraduate/pgstudy/programmes/ses/msc_maritime_engineering_science.html

For some perspective I was speaking recently to a designer for a large yacht shipyard and he said that the naval architecture department(engineering) had 50 people in it. By contrast the design department had 5.

David

8. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Don't take this advice: it's based on a myth!

See for example (among many others)
    "The Myth That Will Not Go Away"
    http://www.maa.org/devlin/devlin_05_07.html

Have fun!
    Leo.

9. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

And this is not just a myth, it is complete unsubstantiated claptrap!

10. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Well you certainly know nothing about fluid dynamics, or rather the person you are quoting doesn't.

This is the same hogwash you were dishing up in the Ark thread before. It's totally false I'm afraid, by now you should really start learning some real science.

Then you'll stop being a mine of useless disinformation :rolleyes:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.