The Controllable Pitch Propeller, a summary.

Discussion in 'Props' started by apex1, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PetterM

PetterM Senior Member

The Servogear Ecoflow also has full feathering capability:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/13941/size/big/cat/
    and has been used a number of larger sailing yachts like wally etc.

2. liki

liki Senior Member

3. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Thank you very much Teddy!

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Tolly
    You can only plug a small diesel into a velvet drive or you will need a bigger box
    Petrol , no problem
    PS when the Euro came out it was ony worth USD0.95
    Just imagine if OPEC re prices oil in Euro's????

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

This time your currency conversion is right! As was mine btw.!:!:

Comparing a standard system without shaft tube, and a velvet drive, with those CPP installations, is still not apples and apples! There is a hughe difference in quality. A very hughe...........
    And the system we talk here is NOT in the 300 to 500 hp range! It is 300 to 500 kW. a hughe difference again.

You would have to compare Mark´s installation with the new CPP, because this offer was for a setup tailored for Marks boat and engine!
    see post #17

I will skimp on political comments, there are just too many around here, that would drivel this place to death, if they have a chance. (see the former post).

Regards
    Richard

6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

On Micheal Kastens web site be shows prices in 2001 ( I think) that show its a no brainer on a 300hp diesel versus fpp in a stern tube.
    (His pricing included the F-n-R box versus the clutch only for the cpp which is where you also save money)
    I couldnt see why you wouldn't use one.

( problem now is the USD has gone down the tubes)

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Use what?

8. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Powerabout,
    I've seen velvetdrives running this kind of horsepower and torque in small (35') boats. Bigger heavier ones, not so much. Around here the next step up is a twin disc and it's a significant step. It still seems like the reduction would be helpful for effiency's sake. What kind of gears would you guys use?

Apex,
    You're a smart guy, no doubt. Lately we seem to be rubbing each other a little bit raw.

Engine /output (kw): 368 kW at 2600 rpm = 493.49 hp

I wouldn't call that very far off the range I called out, 300-500 hp. If that setup can handle 500 hp it will give robust service at 300 without being considered overkill in my opinion.

"You would have to compare Mark´s installation with the new CPP, because this offer was for a setup tailored for Marks boat and engine!"

I'm well aware that this setup is for Mark's boat. I am forced to extrapolate from Mark's data, if you recall, rough estimates regarding other boats were unavailable. Mark's boat is at the upper end of the envelope that my boat is the lower end of. It would be great to have an estimate more closely tailored to my boat but I will make do with the tools available to me. Guessing, I wouldn't think a set up for my boat would be much if any cheaper, 20-30% maybe. Painting with broad brushstrokes, that's close enough.

If you want to leave politics out of it, then do so. I'm not usually really in the mood for condescending comments from a citizen of a nation whose defense we've been paying the freight on for the last 50 years. If you recall, when Germany was reunited, it was the East coming into the fold of the West. If it wasn't for those provincials in North America there would not have been a prosperous and successful West Germany to rehabilitate the eastern half of your country.

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

I would be really pleased if you would leave the damn politics out of here!
    I do´nt want to get this thread driveled down like so many others.

And it seems you like to misunderstand me on purpose?
    The CPP system offered is capable of much more power (700hp) than Marks boat has! But it is the only one that this special manufacturer had to offer in this range.
    It is senseless to guess how much cheaper a system for your application would come out.
    The politeness of reading a post before you contradict is really missing!:(

10. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Tolly
    I am amazed a velvet drive is hanging on the back of a 300hp diesel.
    They couldn't even cut the mustard on a 210hp 3208 so were never offered from the factory.
    There is 71, 72 and 73 series so some a bit better then others.
    So if you price up a cpp versus a fpp with a velvet drive the cpp wont compete.
    As for who makes a reduction box with only neutral and in gear, i dont know.
    ( of course on board here ( but this thread is not about 5k kw engines) there is a huge electric/hydraulic controlled one, has the shaft gen on it as well)

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

No one.

the common setup is reduction gear and clutch. And for what would you need more? (even the clutch is not really essential, therefore not found on commercial vessels)

And would you mind to answer my question? #188 #189

12. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Apex
    On reviewing the Kasten web site and the (old) prices he quoted that showed an advantage to the cpp, i stated there is no downside (that I know of ) to a cpp to why wouldnt you use one considering its many advantages?

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

I understand, thanks.
    Well, not easy to answer, but I guess it is plain ignorance.
    Daniel Skira (a NA from Maine) summed it up here:
    Regards
    Richard

14. PetterM

PetterM Senior Member

15. mark775

mark775 Guest

Richard, I cannot thank you enough for doing this leg-work. The CPP seems like the ideal set-up for me and I honestly wish I had met you before my last transmission/shaft/prop purchase. The pricing is more than competitive with FPP and, indeed, I am looking forward to working with you on CPP on a future project.
    I believe that people do not compare apples to apples when they say "I can get a ZF280/TD506/Chinese whatever for 4,000 EUR and get by with a safety factor two shaft and pound "straight" the bent blade of my old prop..." First off, they see what they WANT or EXPECT to see and don't note the incidental costs associated with ANY upgrade (shaft log, controls, cutlass bearing, possibly a new billet tube if the old bearing didn't fit, etc.) On a comercial duty vessel, one CANNOT skimp on these things (go to continuos duty transmission, for example - not the minimum you can survive with for short-term), hence a repower like the one I did ends up being far more money than the "I could make-do" cost. Again, I think that when comparing like-to-like for my vessel even the current costs would be roughly equivalent - not to mention the long-term savings associated with CPP.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.