What the...? Synonyms for Seafarer.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ejasmudar, Jan 12, 2010.

1. ejasmudar

ejasmudar Junior Member

I was doing a research for a blog article and went to synonyms.net for a word for seafarers. And what do I find??? See the attached image.
    What do you think? Doesn't this call for an uprising??

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Did you make it up or is it published?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

And your point is? If you don't understand the terms why are you questioning it's origins? All those terms seem to apply at some point in history, so I'll repeat my first question now.

4. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

also known as a ******* who dosn't get paid DIDDLYSHIT for working his JACKSTONES off so the some owner can stuff his CAKEHOLE......

5. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

I had too sorry....

6. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

Many ship captains of the near- past were of and by necessity...frankly, A-holes and horrible tyrants to their crews.. Since crappo flows south and down the ladder...by the time the crews finally got ashore and into a bar...they often were condescending and rude to the "land-lubbers" who they often considered weak and cowardly men in comparison to themselves. Not suprisingly. they were often seen by landsmen as being all of synonyms mentioned above...by the local populace who often (to this day in some towns) cannot stand sailors...sailors often had a good bit of money when finally ashore and unleashed after a long voyage...they'd live high on the hog for a few days or weeks...local women knew this too..all of which would inspire jealousy in the locals...many,many sailors were criminals..forced to go to sea or be prosecuted to the last letter of the law for their crime...unless you were an officer or NCO type there were few men who wanted to be crew on a naval ship until the 20th century...it's not surprising that many people found sailors disgusting,uncouth ********, they were...more than often...exactly that...
    My point is that I'm sure those synonyms have ALL been used to describe sailors..and probably some a whole lot worse...That breed of sailors is pretty much gone...few of us in here would even last half a day or maybe even an hour in the world of a 19th century sailor...
    If only in our veneers...we're a different animal and entirely different species from those sailors...though there are certainly a few in this forums from time to time whom the shoe still fits and we still manage to parade a full crew of diddlysquats at times..I'd like to think we have less of them in this "shipwright's pub" than the "sailor's bar" across the street though...if you catch my spindrift...here we go....

7. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

The bottom line is, captains would be nothing without them.

(The crew that is...)

-Tom

8. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

Submarine Tom...well said...your truthful comment made me think back a bit... there was a more modern tyrant captain...the one played by Jimmy Cagney in the movie "Mister Roberts". I'll have to catch that on TCM maybe or rent that one sometime soon...I have not seen it since I was a boy but remember it well...I think it was on TCM last year but it was well underway when I came across it...Hope to catch it from the beginning when they'll play it again.

9. ejasmudar

ejasmudar Junior Member

Nope, its still online when i checked. See it for yourselves at http://www.synonyms.net/synonym/seafarer

So, you guys are saying its perfectly alright??

You know the world is going to the dogs, when to provoke an uprising you have to work harder than usual.

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Other then the possible general opinions that the regular public may have had, all the terms have an origin and most are not what they seem, but lubberized versions of maritime terms of the era.

Most of the terms relate to specific tasks, jobs, positions, physical difficulties and smells of the sailors when they arrived at a port and lubbers saw them for the first time after a long passage.

Maritime history covers them fairly well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.