Is it possible

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by girvin, Dec 4, 2009.

1. girvin

girvin Junior Member

I am selling my sailboat and want to build a passagemaker type power boat. I was imagining something along the lines of a diesel duck but maybe lines closer to the dashews 64. 65x18x5.5 I wanted to do it in aluminum. I was going to build it myself but maybe contract out alot of the hull. I would plumb, wire and do all the carpentry. I havn't contacted a designer b/c I was wondering if I could do this for under 300k. I am not looking for exotic yacht interior. I get almost free cedar so that is what the interior would be and alot of the systems would be basic but maybe an AC. I want a nice home that is very economical to run. We would be living aboard year round except for a month or two. I don't know if I am dreaming but I have lurked awhile and just need to see if I am nuts. I don't have a clue on how much you can build a boat from ground up would cost. I have refitted a few. Thanks and sorry for a similar asked questions.

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Any one with a bit of experience will tell you no way.....not possible. Also some one will turn up to tell you the exact opposite.....don't believe it.

At the very least the NC cut material for such a vessel will cost you close to $100k sitting on the shop floor.

The 55' by 10' Idlewild cost over $300k when built in 2002-3, with a 50Hp engine and no interior. http://idlewildexpedition.ca/index.php

A new Coastal Craft 30' is $330k, for a 13000 pound boat, you are talking about something 5 times the size, ie you require 5 times the material and labour.

3. girvin

girvin Junior Member

So I would be better off buying an older steel troller and doing a conversion? I was looking at the seahorse site and they sell pretty nice 50 ft duck for 400k. At that size could I knock off a 100k if I did it myself. That is alot smaller boat but maybe I am just completely unrealistic. There is a repoed troller here at 54 ft but a 13.5 ft beam wich seams really narrow. I think I could get it for almost nothing since the engine is shot. I just want to get back on the water but we want steel and to be able to do small surf charters in very remote locations not for a living but some extra dinners here and there.

4. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

I see you here in the PNW. You could buy a fishing buyback trawler very cheap and rebuild to your specs.

K9

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

You do NOT save any money doing it yourself!!!

The market provides almost every vessel you need (and almost the right curtain too) second hand.

Assuming a self built is cheaper than a second hand is insane, to say it in a polite way.

Regards
    Richard

6. girvin

girvin Junior Member

I have tried to find the buy back trawlers but I have only found 2 if you have a website I would love to see it.

Apex1
    I havn't found a steel fishing boat conversion that is fuel efficient and could handle crossing oceans on the used market. If you have some in mind I would like to look at them. I have seen many conversions done for 150k I can't find a decent trawler that doesn't burn a ton of feul for under 200k. I am quite capable to handle a conversion on my own that is why I was thinking of that route. I can see what you mean about a self built being more expensive. do think the same for a conversion? I do deliveries on the west coast so I have been on a lot of trawlers and am really figuring out what works for us. I think thats why I was thinking of a custom but I am seeing it was unreasonable.

Thanks for the info guys!

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

With the worlds financial situation getting worse it could be possible to find a manufacturer that has a finished or almost canceled order.

The problem with this is that the manufacture is concerned that you will complete the boat in a satisfactory way.

This seems to be there only concern.

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

Nothing is unreasonable mate.

But of course you have to make up your personal Statement of Requirement.
    What do you need REALLY?

Do you "In the real life" circumnavigate? Where? youre pond? The intracoastal?
    There are sooooooooooooooo many out there, beliving they travel the world, once they have gotten the time (money, excuse), to do.

Are you one of them?

Do not reply to my question, please! Reply to yours.

Now we are circumnavigating...........

Is a daily expense of 200$ a hindering factor? DAILY...
    Oho, I know it is possible for less.........
    Do you know either?

Yes, there are fishing vessels available for near to nothing.#
    In the hand of a knowledgeable they are easyly to convert,
    in the hand of a novice they are a plain nightmare!!

YOU CAN convert a fishing vessel into a very nice yacht! But you have to do it in a "decent" "humble" way!

When you know what I mean, you may have a chance. If not...you have to ask many, many more questions here! (which is not a problem, here are some guys willing to advise!)

Regards
    Richard

9. girvin

girvin Junior Member

Thanks apex I get what you are saying. I am going for a comfortable cruiser not a yacht. I am coming from a 42 ft wharram so a uncoverted fishing boat would be a step into luxury, LOL.

10. apex1

apex1 Guest

Do´nt laugh.

a good commercial vessel can make a fine liveaboard.
    And it must not be a real task to make it a capable boat for a given task! Sometimes one must do NOTHING to have a lifetime of joy.

the same vessel is a nightmare in the hands of a wrong demanding amateure!

And worse: "converted" to whatever was the intention..........

Get it, paint it, sail it, and then repaint it (every year of course, we all do so).

and I like you´re attitude btw.
    many people have a problem seeing the first dream "destroyed".
    And never I have seen one of the pro´s here getting payed for their valuable contribution..........often piised at, though..

11. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

This one is already converted and very fuel efficient..... (the same in [​IMG] PDF)

And here a Dutch artikel about a conversion (Google translation). Somewhat later in time I believe I have seen the project unfinished for sale somewhere on the web.

Regards,
    Angel

12. girvin

girvin Junior Member

thanks for the reply angel but not really into motorsailers and the 100 ft trawler might be a little big.

13. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

How about this?

[​IMG] - [​IMG]

Here + Here + Here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here + Here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this?

[​IMG] - [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here.

This might be useful.

Regards,
    Angel

14. girvin

girvin Junior Member

Wow angel that top one looks great I couldn't read the website but great looking boat thanks.

15. girvin

girvin Junior Member

git the translater to work cool boat, thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.