The Bol d'Or - or sleepless in Geneva

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Blackburn, May 31, 2013.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

======================
    Famous Quote: "Comfort is the essence of speed" by Doug Lord
    Steve was wrong about the MPX-the chair makes this boat-the idea is to show that a high performance boat can be sailed in total comfort, that for an oversquare ,high powered foiler like the MPX comfort is as important as speed and whats more, the design of the boat facillitates that approach-no running side to side, able to be single handed from the center cockpit. Some crew movement is possible but only IF the crew wants to move!
    Sure you could add RM by having the crew move outboard but the boat is already substantially more powerful than any trimaran or,for that matter, for any multihull currently produced 20' and under with the single(or double) crew sitting in the center(more or less). It's always been something I've been interested in doing-a super comfortable boat with the ability to foil in light air and sail very fast as the wind picks up-in comfort. No athletics required for breathtaking sailing......
    You don't see the value of this approach? I bet a lot of people would appreciate it for sailing in places like coastal Florida-intercoastal, bays Rivers like the Indian and Banana River.

Pictures: L=18' MPX,R=12' version of the same concept with two barcaloungers(!)
    click---

Attached Files:

2. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

I suspect that you must be right and I must be wrong, Doug.

Lord knows I've been skeptical about new ideas in the past, when they challenged my 'turf', and perhaps this is just another example.

I was for a while very active with skisailing on snow. When the longline kites first turned up I didn't like them at all and thought them too dangerous.

And before that, when I first saw a foiling waterborne sportcraft (a pedal powered foiling canoe built by some engineering students in Gothenburg, Sweden) I didn't have much time for that either.

So I have to think twice now, before jettisoning your innovative advocacy of Barcalounger Foiling;

... if you have a design that will make allowance for two typically overweight southern adults, along with their oversized cooler full of refreshments and snacks, while allowing them to remain seated in comfort (and they'll be demanding a remote control for the steering and sheeting) then you are probably on to something... really big!

:cool:

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

============================
    I'm not sure there is a wrong or right here-but I don't see where comfort automatically has to translate to "two typically overweight southern adults, along with their oversized cooler full of refreshments and snacks...."? But, then again, maybe you're right...........

4. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

But then again, maybe I'm wrong!

:confused:

Perhaps you're really on to something with this, Doug. All the other dinghy designers are indeed competing for the favors of the tiny shrinking minority of the population who are scrawny and athletic, and who like to exert themselves and be uncomfortable most of the time! And you've identified a far larger market segment; Couch potatoes who'd be thrilled to sail if someone would just cater to them!

:)

Why does there have to be a big, heavy, oversized cooler? That's a very good question! Again my prejudices get in the way of seeing the opportunities here: The cooler should be neatly integrated in the boat, with dry ice or battery power, and it doesn't need to be so big if you also have a customized nav system allowing fool-proof navigation from one waterside restaurant to another... on autopilot!

This is beginning to look like a tantalizing product, I have to admit.

:cool:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.