the best way? Glass schedule for deck and console of 16ft trihull

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by therigwelder, Feb 12, 2012.

1. therigwelder

therigwelder Junior Member

I am rebuilding a 16ft trihull.I plan on using 2 layers of 1 oz chopped strand mat on the plywood deck and console is this enough layers?I have all my deck panels cut.It seems simpler to me to glass the panels before attaching them in the boat?Then come back and glass the corners, screw holes and seams after installation.My glassing skills are much better on sawhorses lol.Any advice?:)

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

If its going over ply wood you should be using a 400 gram woven cloth and Epoxy resin !! Use peel ply over that as well !!. makes a better job all round using epoxy resin with cloth and peel ply !:D!!.

Polyester resin and chopped strand matt over the top of plywood or any kind of wood is a waste of time , money and materials !!!!it will delaminate off the plywoood in a very short period of time !!

3. therigwelder

All I have is poly and 1 oz. 300g csm.how many layers do I need?Do I allow each layer. to harden then apply more as I have to be in the boat to apply the resin I wont.be able.to put mmultiple layers.
    Unless each layer is dry enough to move around on?I am confused how to make.it.work

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

1 oz is almost nothing put two layers on one immediatly after the other !! if you have only poly resin you really are wasting your time but make sure you prime the ply first and let go hard then glass over it .
    Poly and ply are not a good deal always use epoxy on any kind of wood no matter what it is !!always !!
    Still peel ply to give you a good flat finish ,keep your catalyst at 1% to 1.2.5 % dont come below 10 or 12 ml catalyst per 1 kilo of resin !! Use scales and get it right !!:cool:

5. therigwelder

I have a whole roll of 1oz csm and 10 gal poly resin so I must use it.should I use more than 2 layers

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Buy the proper cloth ! It is not expensive and your boat is small.

7. therigwelder

well you convinced me on the roving.I will be sending my wife on a road trip to get it for me while i am at work.i live 100 miles away from the nearest place to get the roving.anyway thank you all for your help.i will be posting plenty more posts seeking help.

8. FMS

FMS Senior Member

I would prefer fiberglass cloth to roving for this application.

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

At what stage does roving become cloth !! what weight??????
    Personally if you use a finer cloth like a 12 oz you will get a better job (finish ) and any over laps wont be so pronounced and such a lump .plus if you plan you overlaps where you want them to happen its a way of getting two layers of glass where its most needed . ! :confused::p

10. FMS

FMS Senior Member

I do not know tunnels.
    The roving I've used is coarser weave with larger bundles of fiber strands starting at 18 oz. The cloth I like best is 12 oz. I've used thicker cloths but they were not as coarse as the lightest roving I've used. You have much more experience than I do laminating. I only glass recreationally ;)

11. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

cloth or roving which is what and when does one become the other

Identification
    Fiberglass cloth is layered levels of glass fiber to create a continuous cloth material. On the other hand, woven roving is continuous glass fibers weaved together. Both are derived from glass shards, creating a lightweight and versatile substance.
    Function
    Typically, both woven roving and fiberglass cloth are used together to form a boat hull. The woven roving provides a factor of stretching that helps with impact resistance, and the fiberglass cloth provides strength and smooth overall aesthetics for a quality finish.
    Considerations
    Woven roving and fiberglass cloth can also be combined for application on a cabin deck or even automobiles. The allure of strength makes these materials appealing in multiple layers to create an even stronger surface for a longer life span of the item it protects.

:confused:

Woven Roving
    Woven roving could refer to the way the fibers rove apart thanks to the lack of salvage, or hemmed edge. This kind of fiberglass cloth is thick and coarse and has a weave that is open and not tight. If you are not careful, you can accidentally pull some of the fibers apart if you tug on the edges. This type of fiberglass cloth is used for boats.
    Cloth
    Fiberglass cloth is comprised of fine yarns. The weave resembles the basket weave, for the fibers intersect at right angles. This cloth is very durable and does not come apart easily. It is often referred to as deck cloth because it is used on the decks of boats.
    Mat
    This fiberglass cloth is comprised of short fiberglass strands and a binder made of resin. It can be quite heavy as well as stiff. Because the edges are not bound, they resemble individual fibers. However, the resin keeps the fibers from coming apart completely. It is often reinforced with other materials.

12. michael pierzga

No need to drive one hundred miles. Use the internet... Many fabrics as well a good tutorials describing cloth types.

13. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

The term cloth seems to be any woven glass below 15 oz ,,above 16 oz is classed as woven never ever really taken much notice over the last ?? years . :D

14. therigwelder

Okay what is the best material for a novice like myself to use for the best results?

15. michael pierzga

First you must state whether the fiberglass is strucural or simply sheathing.

Sheathing means a layer of light fiberglass cloth to seal the plywood and give it a robust waterproof covering, a skin.

Structural means that this glass skin is engineered with various fabric and it keeps your boat from folding in two.

A big difference.