The new Guy

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Finster, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Finster

Finster Junior Member

Hello Folks,
    I am a 38 year old married man and have recently been given a project. I am definetely to the part where its time to start asking for some suggestions. When Google'ing for some "Boat Help" this site came up. I looked around and it seems there are plenty of knowledgable people here.

Here is the scenerio. My lovely grandmother has given me a little ski-boat that she and her husband used for many years. When her husband passed away the boat was put away and left to die. She asked if I wanted it and I decided that I did, and would shine it all up. It is an old boat, not powerful, and my only incentive is that I live in Washington, and we are riddled with lakes, so some fishing, and messing around with swimming.

The boat is a traveller, and I think it was built in the 50's.
    The engine is an Evenrude Lark, another piece of machinery built in the 50's
    The boats paint is oxydized as well as the engine paint.

This is what I have done. I have pressure washed the entire boat and rid it of all mildew, and mold. I took the engine off and replaced all lines and such that needed replacing. Replaced the spark plug and got some new gas, and the engine started right up. Replaced throttle cables, and steering cables. Refinished the seats, and replaced some wood. Created a wooden (finished) instrument panel, and a finished wood throttle lever base.

ITs getting there.... now I have a couple questions.

1) Is there anyone on these forums that can answer some questions about painting on fiberglass, or can someone point me in the right direction to somewhere that can?

2) The hull (bottom?) does not have any holes in it, but just some rubbed areas where they obviously scraped a doc or something. I would like to fill these and then get a nice paint on the bottom too. Can anyone give me any insight on how this could be done? i.e. do I need to sand it all down? what to use to fill the scratches? what type of paint will work best?

Any help would be appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read my novel here..heh heh

Rick

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Well, sounds like you've got a beauty here. Photos please! :)
    Those old Evinrudes just don't die, it seems. (At the risk of stating the obvious, though, NEVER start it up unless there's a water supply to the cooling intakes, ie. don't run it on dry land unless it's hooked up to a flush fitting.)
    Now as to your questions....
    (1) Pick a paint supplier, buy all your paint stuff from that same supplier, and follow their directions to the letter. I am a fan of Interlux (they have a very good, free guide to painting boats on their website at http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/ ) but there are other popular systems as well (Awlgrip, for example). Do not mix and match different suppliers. Sand, clean and prime exactly as your supplier's instructions say, and you will get a beautiful finish.
    (2) There are a number of epoxy fairing compounds that can be used to smooth out small scrapes and ripples. Or just buy a can of West System epoxy (you'll learn to love the stuff) and mix it with microballoon powder. Don't use polyester putties like Bondo, they won't adhere very well to a boat hull.
    Have fun with it, and don't forget to upload some photos (either to this thread, or to the Gallery on this site).

3. Finster

Finster Junior Member

Nice

Wow it didnt take long to get an answer, and a very good answer at that. I will certainly get some pictures this weekend, as all the cosmetic work I am doing it will be nice to have before/after pictures.
    I appreciate your suggestion to have cooling in place while running on dry land, and I certainly did. Only ran it for about 15-20 seconds and was in a garbage can filled with water. Ill get the lines I need this weekend as well, in order to run it a little more. Im sure the lines that attach to the engine for cooling are more effective than the ole' garbage can trick?

Thanks alot for the suggestions....and Im sure I will have more questions.

Rick

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Putting the lower unit in a water-filled trash can works just fine. Just don't put it in gear or you might get a bit soaked :D

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

You have to be sure the waterpump is still working or you can fry the motor even hooked up to a flush fitting or in a tank of water. If it's sat for awhile, the rubber impellor is probably shot.
    You might be able to just buff the oxidation off the fiberglass gelcoat and have the boat looking like new. It's probably not paint that is on the boat.
    Post some pictures. Sam

6. Finster

Finster Junior Member

Ahh ok

Yeah some of the grooves are pretty deep so buffing them out may not be an option. I was curious about the paint or substance on the bottom (hull) of the boat. Seems like it wouldnt be just "paint" as much as it would be some kind of white sealent or gel coat.
    As for painting Im more interested in painting the top, and the paint that was on it before was in BAD shape. I have already sanded it down smooth, so new paint is inevitable. AS for the bottom, Im not sure if people really paint that, rather than just gel coating it, filling gaps and scratches and then sand to a nice finish? Still a little mixed up on that part.

We were able to witness the water ciculating so I assume that its working, but you have given me an idea on what to, at least, check. Thanks

Pictures will be here Monday. AND DONT LAUGH!!!

:D

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

The exhaust goes out the propellor so that might be what was circulating the water. I don't know about your older motor but new ones usually have a telltale that squirts water out the back of the housing, like the motor is taking a whiz, that visually shows the pump is pumping. This place has forums on specific brands of motors and someone might know more about your motor.http://forums.iboats.com/ Sam

8. Finster

Finster Junior Member

Heres the pics

Ok so I was able to get some photo's and I hope this helps... Here is the boat
    [​IMG]

Here is a close up of the "hood"...I have sanded it down to where everything is smooth. I have an auto painter friend that will spray it out for me, I just have to do everything but that....sand, mask, etc.. any suggestions as to what I should do for the best finish?
    [​IMG]

As for the bottom, it is still water worthy and nothing goes all the way through, but there are some areas like this and some not as bad. What would I use to fill and cover? Some sort of marine putty and gelcoat?
    [​IMG]

Here is the dash of the boat for what its worth. Im going to buy a new steering wheel.
    [​IMG]

Here is the engine (also going to get some cosmetic work) and the name on the boat. Thought I would add them for the heck of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Well, Finster, she looks reasonably sound as far as the pictures indicate. Most of the deterioration looks like it's just in the gelcoat. (You'd be wise to remove, rather than mask, the instruments, wheel, etc. if you want a perfect paint job.)
    The damage to the bow is probably from botched dockings. I'd sand it down until you're confident you're on solid material, then use a very thick epoxy/microballoon mix to fair it smooth. There's some cracking around the bow eye, you'll probably want to take that thing off, clean up under it, and put a much beefier backing plate in on the other side.
    The surface finish? I'd suggest you sand, first with 160-180 and then with 240-260 grit, until you've removed the chalky oxidized layer. Fair out any hollows etc. with the epoxy/microballoon putty. Keep sanding with finer grades until you're happy with it.
    Now pick a paint. I'm an Interlux fan (I used their cheapest enamel on my boat six seasons ago and it still looks like new), if you're spraying on fibreglass then a 2-part urethane is probably best. There are other good ones too (Awlgrip is another popular one). Use the prep solvent and primer that the paint supplier recommends, and follow their directions- this pretty much guarantees a beautiful glossy finish.
    Since yours is a trailer boat, don't use an antifouling paint on the bottom. They crap out completely if the boat stays on a trailer for more than a few days at a time. Just use the same type of urethane paint you'd use on the deck.
    I'd advise against using car paints. The technique and the spray gun are compatible, but the paint itself doesn't do so well between water and fibreglass. A good 2-part marine urethane is your best bet.

10. Finster

Finster Junior Member

Nice

Wow Marshmat talk about suggestions. Your reply was very helpful to me. I will take all of this and get to work, looks like I have some sanding to do.

About painting the bottom once I have all my filling done. Your saying the same type of paint that is going on the top is ok for the bottom? not same color of course.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.