Latest Batteries Tech

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Yobarnacle, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Technology is changing fast.
    I already have an electric boat.
    What's the best batteries to use? Pros cons?
    Presently I have 10 old 12v varied size lead/acid car batteries totalling 750 amp hours cap more or less.
    Motors, imersed water cooled, are 24 volt and variable imput from 5 amps to 116 amps.
    I mainly use in range of 12 amp to 30 amp, and not frquently 60 amp input.
    I have easily driven hull, 8.5 beam 30 ft loa, 2 ft draft, 4500 lbs loaded.

Now I have proven the drive, looking for the permanent batterys to buy for installation.

All suggestions welcome

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

normally one wants to meet a performance requirement or desirement- what is it. How much are you willing to spend? How much more for a bit more performance. How much saved would convince you to go a with a bit less? What sort of recharging scheme do you have in mind. Often, the recharge will pretty much determine where you end up, so you need to really think about that. It can be a very expensive part of an initial setup. Proving the charging system in "pilot plant" mode might be a reasonable second step. Try a 1/3 capacity bank added to what you have, that can be scaled.

And please post all your experiences with the boat. Good, bad, and ugly. Data on builds and conversions is a lot more prevalent than the annuls of those who are living with the things. Have you been to the Yahoo Groups Electric Boat forum yet?

4. Yobarnacle

Hi Phill, Hi Rasor,
    My boats a motorsailer. Not a Sail-or-motor. The concept is to take full advantage of the synergy between sails and prop propulsion. The ability to reach hull speed under either alone, is a good feature for "get home". I have generally accomplished that, but the impetus is economy while motorsailing. And ease of handling.
    At 30 feet and 4500lbs, she is a maxi-trailer-sailer. I mean the biggest I want to haul behind my 3/4 ton Dodge coversion van.
    I use hardware store battery chargers and swap connections.
    The permanent automatic charging circuit will depend on battery type.
    So, I'm seeking advice on what to buy.
    I would like a kiloamphours of battery power, less than 1000 lbs weight, long life, capable of thousands of recharges, quick recharging,fair price(2 grand -/+), and above all, SAFE.

5. Yobarnacle

I meant $2 grand just for batteries. Chargers would be additional.

6. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

well lets see- here's a little battery charger- nothing fancy-is a twenty hour recharge fast enough?

http://www.iboats.com/Ci2430A-Heavy...ries-24V-30A-3-Bank-Charles/dm/view_id.118297

figure another like amount for switches, fuses, blocks, lugs, and wire. Do we have a front end for this? 30A marine electrical cord, or is it a generator setup?

Personally, I'd feel some minimal solar setup would be necessary. A couple of cheap 12v panels and an ASC controller and an overvoltage relay because those controllers fail closed and boil your batts. I haven't checked prices recently, but $700 should get it done and you can then just ignore everything for a month or six if you need to.

18 of these in three banks of 3 X 2 might get more than 500 cycles if you are careful with them. Could also use 12 of the SC250H

So about $5000 unless it's a complete cobble. No brand recommendations intended here, just examples of normal stuff. I would recommend looking at Sun Electronics site for solar and low voltage power distribution gadgetry. They are out of Miami.

(I interpreted kiloamphour to be 12 kilowatthours, even though this is a 24 volt sys)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  7. Yobarnacle

Sounds do-able. Looking at peltier chips for charging instead of solar panels. Peltier work from heat or cold, as long as there is a differential on two oposing sides. Greater the difference, greater current produced. Advantages are work on cloudy days, at night, as well as bright sun. Hardier more durable, and applying power they become coolers or heaters, depending on polarity

8. Yobarnacle

the link rasorinc provided offers these
    Surrette Battery Bank
    24VDC 800Ah 19,200watthrs 8 Surrette 6v, 400 Ah S530
    Interconnect Cables and Float Hydrometer 9990011 was $3,026.00
    sale $2700.00
    More initial outlay but claim good for 5000 recharges or more.
    Guaranteed for 10 years, claim actual service life 15 to 20 years.
    I'd pay xtra for longer life

9. Yobarnacle

some while back was looking at a blog where a fellow built his own hybrid car, actually a re-power.
    He had individual batterychargers on each battery. Bought them on Ebay. They appeared to clamp on top, were same width and length as battery and added about 2 inches in height. Supposedly they did battery monitoring and other helpfull features besides charging. Can't find the link.

10. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Remember what ever you chose to only use COPPER nuts , bolts and washers.

No SS, no bronze for your connections.

These are hard to find , but the local power co guys have em by the box full.

11. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

12. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

13. Yobarnacle

Many of the "Marine" deep cycle batteries advertize, besides normal posts, they include stainless screw in terminals. A good thing or bad?

14. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

First put together an estimate using the best available deep cycle batteries...Absolyte .

Used by the military and USCG for aids to navigation and can be purchase in horizontal and vertical configurations.

Absolyte batteries many times can be bought used from bankrupt alternative power stations or at government auction. Give it a google

http://www.norwatt.es/pdf/Tudor/bateria-absolyte-ipp-energias-alternativas.pdf

15. Yobarnacle

Wow! Heavy batteries. Thanks Michael for the info. I'm not sure I could deal with the weight factors.
    I use 5gal water cooler bottles and batteries as ballast as well as for power and drinking. Everything is secured, tied down. But, I designed an alternate locations for a few of each, for trim purposes. Moving a 70 lb battery from starboard bank to port bank can eliminate an annoying list. Water bottles are simpler to shift as there is no wiring to hook un-hook.
    But 5 gallons of fresh water only weighs 40 lbs. and the water is a consumable. After you drink all the starboard stowed water and still are listing to starboard, drinking water from port side exacerbates the list.
    Small vessel of shoal draft are sensitive to trim. My hull stiffens dramatically at about 5 degrees of heel, hard to heel her more even under press of canvas (dacron). But pretty tender that first 5 degrees. Don't like lying on my ear. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.