The AWLGRIP Knowledge challenge

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Nice boat, but his 17' Cat rigged, stich and glue is closer. If you haven't checked it out ---http://www.archdavisdesigns.com/davis_penobscot17.html

I guess the caption for the attached should be "Need any fire wood?"

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I will not try to talk you out of it, but the Penobscot is a lot heavier then it needs to be and much more complex as well.

Before you burn them, give me a call, I'll come and get them.

3. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Par--I'll email you. Don't want to hijack this thread anymore then we have.
    Kap

4. PAR

My email may have changed since the last time we talked, click on my name for the new one.

5. grady

grady Novice

Friends

Hey, Jerr and Paul. You guys can chat on my tread anytime. no offense taken. It's good to see your posts and hear what you guys have been up to.

Jerr, sorry to hear about the sale of the benni, I know she meant a lot to you and good luck with you next project.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'll just hand polish the two rub spots and 5-7 yrs down the road respray.

Micheal P. I have a 32Lx14wx12h spray booth that breaks down to small pile of lumber when not in use w 28,000 cfm of air movement.

Regards.

6. PAR

Considering the age, length and various deviations this thread has taken, I don't think a little more off road action will hurt anything. Hell, after 3 years or so . . .

7. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Now you guys are laughing at me and all I wanted to do is be a responsible forum user. I'm going to get a complex... Par, Did you get my email?

8. PAR

Yep, I'm just ignoring you . . .

9. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Hay Grady,
    Thanks for the comment. Yes, it was very difficult giving up West Wind. I had the interior 80% finished. It was getting nice enough that my wife was starting to get ideas about living aboard, but we all do what we have to do. Chalk it up to continuing education. Now I'm looking to build a little one in my garage just to stay busy.
    Thanks again,
    Jerry

10. downtownfish

downtownfish Junior Member

Kaptin_Jer can I come by and see your work and pick your brain? I am a new boat owner(15 whaler) I am in the middle of fixing a few soft spots and would like to roll and tip it myself. I have never seen a roll and tip job in real life as far as I know. I live off of davie and 95. I have no experience with finishing boats and have been reading for two weeks and I am still scared.

11. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Hi Fish,
    If you have been following the thread the West Wind (that You can find pictures that I posted last year) has ben sold, but If you email me I will be happy to meet you and introduce you to some professional roll and tip guys that are working in a marina almost within walking distance from your location. They are pretty tight with their "secrets", but we can see the work that is being done. I worked on my boats in the same marina for 8 years so they got to know me and I learned from them.

12. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Awlgrip question....Client has asked me to paint two polyethylene outboard portable gas tanks the same colour as the boat. Awlgrip Sea Foam.

Any tricks for painting polyethylene and getting a reasonably good bond and finish ?

13. downtownfish

Kaptin-Jer I don't see how to e-mail you or send you a PM. I am a 9 to 5er so I don't know how well that works out for you. I would only be able to meet after 5 and on the weekend. Anyway shoot me your e-mail or number. Thank you in advance.

14. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

If you click on my name it should take you to the profile page and you can email from there. I'm an 8 to 6'r. I am strickly a week ender.

15. downtownfish

Say's no contact info available.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.