The AWLGRIP Knowledge challenge

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Dec 31, 2007.

1. grady

grady Novice

Hey Much, Gee I know you've heard this in the bedroom but now you get to hear it in the fore-room :p BOY YOUR QUICK!!!!!

Yeah I was just thinking out loud, but you can't tell me that you won't be able the feel that break, and how the hell can sand up to your tape with all that smoke in your eyes.

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

if you lay ya hand flat against the sand paper, ( you need to use ya HAND,,like i know you've heard in the bedroom :D) , and set the paper against the tapeline, you SHOULD be able to feel the paper riding against the tape,,, and you can wet sand the clear,, it isnt half as hard as the top coat anyways,, and it will be just the "tape line" ,, but i think you'll be surprised just how close they'll be.
    and i hear " you was suppose to wait for me" more then anything else in the badroom ,,, hehe ;) :D :p

3. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

Another 'cheap trick' to make the lines less 'hard' on the edges is to do a 'wet peel' of the tape right after the last coat of paint is shot on the accent line. This lets the paint 'flow out' and not make a hard edge (it's actually a meniscus, just like when water crawls up the edges of a drinking glass) in the first place. This makes a really big difference in the feel of the edges. Obviously you have to be real careful when working around your wet paint, but it can be done.

Jimbo

4. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

The "Pros" in my yard put a coat of clear over the vinyl on dark hulls. It helps seal the edges, but they are spraying. I have been reluctant to do my boat because I am Rolling and tipping and I am afraid of runs when the brush passes over the vinyl.

5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

man,, i bet that would be hard ta do,,,,,,,reason 274 i dont snail,,, hehe ;)

6. afrhydro

afrhydro Senior Member

its all so good

alwgrip rocks
    :p
    i use the 50/50 color and clear under the water line then alwcraft from there most times never had any come off
    knock on wood
    i even had guys leave there boats in for a week at a time or more while on vacation some got a little scum on um but it polished right off

Attached Files:

7. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Jim,
    As promised I attached a couple of progress pictures of "our" boat. Lousy camera, and not much progress, but check out the Tabernacle. --Don't see too many U.S. boats with one of those! The blue is still holding up in the Florida sun.
    And just for the halibut I threw in a few pics of the R/C model of the Endeavor that I have been building from scratch using the original drawings (also 'Glassed and Awl Griped) It's 51" long and I have working with some guys in the R/C site to convert the origonal sail plan into a workable R/C sail plan. You can zoom in on all the pictures.

Attached Files:

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

THANKS Kapt. !! man i miss "our" boat hehe ;)
    that is a bad@ss tabernacle. and aint you too damned old to mess with them LITTLE parts on that r/c ,, heh,, i have enough problems with full size stuff,, going that small would drive me NUTS [​IMG]
    and guess what,,, i got a new desktop,, pic 2 :D

9. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I built that little one 5 years ago as a "one off" using the actual drawings with the hopes of someday adding R/C to it, but the experts have just informed me that scale doesn't translate well in sailing. I would need a keel 1/3 larger and deeper and a rudder 3 times the size of the scale rudder, and at least 5 lbs more lead then I have in her now (10 lbs) and then the access plates would not keep water out as she heeled so I would lose her in about 2 min. of sailing. I guess it's back on the mantel. Shows you how much I know about scale models. Well building it was fun, built it just the way I built the big ones, lofted the lines (in the computer)Strong back, stations, ribs, glass then turn over. It was fun.

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ya did better then i would of,,,,for sure ;)

11. grady

grady Novice

One pak enamels

Hey guy's, Need some insight on what I can expect from interlux's bilgekote, from a material handling perspective.

Will it have the same tendency to run and sag as awlgrip?

can I re-coat without sanding (within a window)?

can I reduce more than the 10% the application guide suggests?

can I apply a full wet coat as my first coat?

any info or experience with greatly appreciated

Thanks

12. afrhydro

afrhydro Senior Member

no follow the directions on the can
    or it will take for ever and ever to dry
    its great against oil and gas hence the name bildge cote

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

remember ,,, its HEAVY ,, which will make it sag and run on a thick coat ,, and i wouldnt reduce it any more ,, too much past the 10% and you'll see "reducer" spots everywhere.

14. grady

grady Novice

hey guys, you only apply one full wet coat, wait the for the recoat window and re-apply but do you need to sand or scuff, I have never shot these one pak enamels and I am afraid some of my learned behavior from shooting awlgrip will make my life more difficult than it has to be.

15. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

nope,, no sanding,, UNLESS you wait to long,,,,if you wait too long then try without sanding,, then it will just run of like ya sprayed water on it ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.