Plan for Cigarette-type powerboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by milen, Apr 27, 2008.

1. milen

milen New Member

Hi everyone, this being my first post, a little introduction is following. I live in Costa Rica, I absolutely love boats and the most I love speedboats, I love going fast in whatever kind of transport. My dilemma is that I do not have the money to buy a boat, also I live in the city where the ability of boat seems kind of restricted. I'd like to build me a smaller version for remote control. Has anyone a plan of a cigarette boat (or any other kind of speedboat) that you are willing to share? Also, any advice and rules and whatever I need to know like length, width, length/width ratio, how deep it should float in the water... in order to build a working boat.
    Please help me, this is my first homemade rc project and I want it to work.
    PS. The boat is intended to navigate a calm park pond.

2. milen

milen New Member

Can't anyone help me, please

3. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Well, not entirely mild.

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

You will buy a good middle size electric boat cheaper than you can make one. Here is something typical from googling rc boat:
    http://www.gadgetgalaxy.com.au/Radio Control Boats.htm

You could also try ebay.

Buy one in your price range. See if it is something you enjoy and then scale up from there.

If you go to Youtube and search for fast rc boats or something similar you will find all manner of craft. Some of them are 6ft long or more.

If you go for fuel powered then the noise can be a problem if your pond is not secluded.

There may be an RC club for planes and boats in your area. These can be a rich source of low cost components as people upgrade their fleet.

Operating them is fun for a while but you will get more satisfaction from building and tuning. However buy something to get a feel first and build up from there. You need to develop a source of components that are priced well and delivered reliably. I buy most stuff like this over the web these days but you need to know what you are looking for first. Building a decent 6ft boat could set you back USD1000. Parts like drive leg, motor, RC units, servos etc are expensive so costs go well beyond the cost of materials to build a hull.

Rick W.

5. milen

milen New Member

thanks, guys,can you give me a little more detailed inof, about angles of the hull, terminology (I don't even know which side port is, lol) and so on...
    I have quite some experience in RC builds, having built several cars from kit and also several planes from scratch (all I had was a plan), but have no idea on about boating and want to give it a try. My fun comes mostly out of building something my self and then see that it works.
    Also, what would be best, cigarette-kind or those catamarans (the so called formula one of the water)?

Here are a few different hulls that I like, in this order of preference:
    http://www.gadgetgalaxy.com.au/1.03 Meter Nitro Radio Remote Control Spped Boat.htm
    http://www.gadgetgalaxy.com.au/PX-16 Radio Control Boat.htm
    http://www.gadgetgalaxy.com.au/Nitro Radio Control Formula 1 Hydro Boat.htm

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.