Seamanship? Ghost Ship off Oz

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by TerryKing, Apr 20, 2007.

1. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

What could have happened here????
    ----( From BBC)-------
    'Ghost yacht' found off Australia :
    The Kaz II yacht (Image: Queensland Police)
    All the vessel's sails were up, although one was badly torn

Emergency services in Australia have launched a search for the three-man crew of a yacht found drifting off the North Queensland coast. The Kaz II was found with its engine running, and a table laid for dinner, but there were no signs of any people.
    LINK HERE: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6574547.stm

PHOTO CAPTION: "All the vessel's sails were up, although one was badly torn"

Attached Files:

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Saw Jack Frost and all jumped overboard - he bored them off!:p :D

3. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Man overboard + shark attack?

Wouldn't be the first time

Tim B.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

One was in his 50's and the other two were 67 and 69.

Ok the 50 year old one fell over ,--probably doing most of the work.

The 67 year old one jumped in to save him!!!!.

They both downed or were eaten

The 69 one commit siucide by jumping in. Probably knowing he couldnt get back on his own. Or unable to help or not knowing how to, he commit suicide feeling responsable

Maybe before he did this he set the stage to shroud there death in mystery and to cover up any claims of incompetance, or just to be be another Marie Celeste.

5. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

That's a point, nothing has been said about liferafts on-board.

Tim B.

6. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Tim better than a shark attack followed by a manoverboard! I think the important thing has something to do with that rip in the foresail - something did that, sudden panic all on deck to see what was going on then all over the side!?! Wierd man wierd!

7. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Seamanship ? Ghost ship off Oz

Come, come Jack - every seaman knows the correct name is Mary Celeste... Only ill-informed novelists and journalists continue to perpetuate the mis-nomer...:mad:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Had to be pirates, they were below deck ready to eat when what ever happened happened.

9. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Seamanship ? Ghost ship off Oz

Of course it harks back to the old Scots 'legend' of the May Island lighthouse when the relief crew arrived to discover the light deserted - five men missing, but hot meals still on the table...and (here's the creepy part) five black birds perched on the lighthouse rail....:rolleyes:

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

No news on this yet then

Comon aussies??? whats hapnin??

11. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Ghost ship mystery solved?

I don't think this will help them with the authorities:

"Relatives of the skipper of a catamaran that was found drifting empty off the Great Barrier Reef said today that they had been in "spiritual" touch with him and believe that he is fighting for his life "somewhere dark". .... Two days after the official search for Derek Batten and his two crew members was called off, Mr Batten's niece, Hope Himing, said that the trio were kidnapped from their boat, the Kaz II. ... Ms Himing added: “My mum and I are both spiritualists. My mum’s had a really strong feeling from Des (Derek) that he’s somewhere dark and he can’t see and I don’t feel that he’s dead either. .... Asked about Ms Himing's 'spiritualist' comments, a spokesman for the Townsville Water Police said: "I haven't heard that one - but there's not much we could do about it.. " Times On Line

Sail World.com suggested something that makes at least a little sense, but doesn't suggest a good ending:
    "There have been many documented cases of criminal activity including drug exchanges off the Queensland coast. Perhaps the three sailors saw something incriminating..."

In this scenario, which, oddly enough, doesn't contradict the relatives' "spiritualist" communication theory, the head sail might have been slashed, to create a false lead.

I'm still thinking about the unlikely plan by "experienced sailors" to sail around 6000 km in a used boat purchased only a week before. OK, so it's sailing along the coast, but much of that coast is wilderness, no? That part seems very unusual. We all bellow about how tough and macho we are (my beloved says, "It's not your fault, you've got male disease and there's no cure"), but experienced sailors tend to fret over preparations (even Ozzies, last I heard). That's how they live long enough to become experienced...

Definitely a Mary Celeste type of mystery.... by the way, Jack, even the journalists got that one right.:p

12. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

maybe they were taken by seals? jus a thought
    nah too warm, Dolphins maybe?

13. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Seamanship? Ghost Ship etc

14. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

15. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Seamanship? Ghost Ship etc

At the same time he failed to explain the large amount of water surrounding the boat when found (maybe a study of the CTV footage - as used in TV cop films - will reveal more.) Nor did he comment on the lack of mail on the doormat - or lack of milk bottles left out for collection - or ask neighbours if they'd seen anything suspicious...
    Is the right man on the job...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.