The 18 Foot SeaSled

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Darkzillicon, Jan 23, 2023.

1. catchcookcreate

catchcookcreate New Member

I like it really coming together

2. Darkzillicon

Darkzillicon Senior Member

Really getting an intense twist this close to the extreme of the bow. However I have glued enough that I think I can coax the outboard tip of the plywood into position.

IMG_5156.jpeg

3. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

That really is a wide angle lens on your camera.

Love the 'pout' labelling.
    'Stout'
    will show up soon I suspect. :)

You are shiplapping the ply strips!
    It was hard to tell in the other photos.
    Great progress!

4. Darkzillicon

Shiplap yes inboard.. but I’ll probably be smoothing that with 36 grit and then glassing over. Hard to get it to both bend and curve and twist.

5. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Strip plank composite. Jes'sayin'

Geno67 likes this.
  6. Darkzillicon

I considered it... but since my bow area is so small and was the only area that I couldn't do with plywood it seemed silly to stray from the original plans. I suppose my lines would've been fair-er but I think it would've been a slightly lighter, if weaker boat. 3/8 ply is more directionally stable.

You also built a much larger sea sled which certainly warranted more difficulty with thicker skin and curves.

DogCavalry likes this.
  7. Darkzillicon

Faired, sanded, fiberglassed Before it got any ideas . Moving onto final fit and finish near the top and fairing the outside. I probably should do the chine area as well but I’m trying to save all that for when I lift the boat. IMG_5177.jpeg

8. Darkzillicon

So I had to find the time to get back to the good lumberyard to get some clear douglas fir 2x4 lumber. I started notching in my stringers for dry fitting. Before I lift the boat to do the bottom planking and finish the underneath V shaped sections I needed to make sure i had plenty of wood that the boat wouldn't warp when lifted on the keelsons. She's probably approaching 400 pounds right now. My stringers are probably excessive but wood is light and why not be excessive on the bottom where she will take the most pounding. I only mention this because it looks like the original plans called for 1.5"x1.5" twin keelson lumber and only a strong 1.5"x3.5" center keelson cap.

I've already dry fit two additional (keelson caps?) I think a keelson goes over a keel... but I have two keels making them keelsons, so the keelson on top of the keelson? Yes the planking in this area is horrible, I used some scrap wood early in the build and I'll probably cut it out when I get underneath the boat. Circled in pink.
    IMG_5208.jpg
    IMG_5212.jpeg
    IMG_5215.jpeg

Last edited: May 19, 2023
  9. BlueBell

With a design displacement of only 475 pounds, do you think you are heavy right now while approaching 400?
    I would caution you against making modifications to the plan which result in a heavier boat.
    It defeats the purpose of the plan. Well, that's providing it is a proven plan. Is it a proven plan?

If you don't mind me asking, is your 90HP o/b a long leg?

10. Darkzillicon

Yes they sell Yamaha in 3 leg lengths. I also have the ability to notch the transom to 18” from the current 24” however I’m starting to like the outboard motor bracket idea. And that will likely be whatever height I order so there are options.

based on Douglas fir… 1.15 pounds per linear foot and I’m adding a maximum of 24 linear Feet … that’s about 28 pounds worst case (12.7kilos) mostly in the stern. A fat man could make as much difference in my opinion.

11. BlueBell

That doesn't answer my questions.

12. Darkzillicon

I have no idea if it's a proven plan. However, it's not a big departure from the scantling sections as drawn.
    SeaSled Illustration.png

Stofferaus likes this.
  13. BlueBell

You're missing my point, but if it's an unproven design then it doesn't really matter.
    Let me reword the question:
    How do you think your final displacement will compare to the design displacement of 475 pounds?

Last edited: May 19, 2023
  14. Darkzillicon

Let me calculate that. {note: still working on this trying to be accurate}

Last edited: May 26, 2023

15. Darkzillicon

Good day of planking… I was able to add about 7 linear feet of planking down to the chine line on the starboard side.

Created templates for the final decking ply on the starboard side.

Starboard side of the bow that bit of topside planking and the forward bit underside the boat is what remains to be planked. Next will be the fiberglass and fit and finish work.

IMG_5291.jpeg

87F72A54-A4A4-42E0-9B79-DE931685A9B4.jpeg
    IMG_5296.jpeg

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    DogCavalry likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.