That spider boat is called the "Proteus"

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kach22i, Jan 19, 2007.

1. alaskamokaiman

alaskamokaiman Junior Member

The Answer

check out Wam-v.com I think or google wam-v might be wam_v you will see new the secret is out.

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

http://www.wam-v.com/strategic.htm
    http://www.wing.com/

Thanks for the "heads-up" alaskamokaiman.

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Ok so it's stable, so's a hammock (cheaper too, and more use) but as I said why?

So far the only plausable creation is as a camera platform, but **** a chopper is quicker and more use! As for the medical bit - how many casevacs could you get on that? May as well strap yourself to the outside of an Appache and go rescue your mate (whoops sorry that's been done!)

4. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Has anyone got any new info on this vessel?

About the questions about "why?" and "whats so new about it?"

I think - but this was just my interpretation on one sentence - the "revolutionary" idea is that the pontoons/hulls flexe to flow on the surface of waves instead of plowing through - thos creating a new kind of conditions in terms of resistance.

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I think you were saying; floats to float on the surface of waves instead of plowing through ...................right?

Oscillatory effects of high speed craft going over waves as found in surface effect ships and hovercraft as well as certain hydrofoils is an interesing topic, at least to me. What this water spider Proteus does is absorb some of that heaving vertical movement. If you have ever been sea-sick, I can't see how this cannot interest you.

6. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

No Idea what happened there - fixed the typo - meant to flex the hull

Think of half inflated inflatable canoe - pull it on surface and it contours the water.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.