Hullform Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by JRD, Mar 23, 2011.

1. JRD

JRD Senior Member

I have been using Hullform version9 and am curious how many folk here have used it and how it compares. I see in the survey it doesn't come up too often.
    It was the first boat design software I come upon and I have kind of got used to it now, though there are some features that drive me crazy!
    The fairing function does seem to offer methods of controlling curvature position and magnitude which allows the use of less control points. Eg Master stations, at bow midships and transom.
    To change the beam in lateral plane for example, pull the curve in or out from one point, then use line control edits (text input) to alter position and magnitude of the curve (end curvature and line flexibility).
    This seems more in line with obtaining a fair curve than having several control points, which can lead to reverse curvature and varying degrees of curvature that you cant see until you start building (or lofting). I think the hullform method for lines is more akin to using a fairing batten. It also provides curvature graphs to illustrate how the curvature progresses along the line. I havent used other packages so this may be a normal feature?
    I have used AutoCAD-LT for boat detailing and proffesionally for mechanical engineering design, so I am more comfortable with editing in a 2D environment. But would not try to develop a lines plan given the way it handles curves and splines.

My questions are:
    Has anyone here used Hullform and taken it to the build stage?

For anyone who has used Hullform enough to be proficeint, have you then found other affordable software which is better / easier to get the lines plan you want and progress it to a build.

Have you used other software such as AutoCAD to produce working drawings from DXFs, or do other packages allow for detailing beyond basic lines and stations.

My design interest is strictly amatuer, so I can't justify spending lots for what is only one part of a build. I know what shape Im trying to get, and slowly forcing hullform to give me that, and feel I can probably correct the few small flaws it wont seem to deal with during building.
    Just wondering what has been succesful for others here.

Thanks, Jeff

2. bernd1972

bernd1972 Holzwurm

I find hullform extremely intuitive once you understand what you are doing. While it hast someone limitations it ist great to get a good hullform with correct strake. If you use the drag prediction function that will probably not get you 100% accuracy Butter it ist a gerät help for fine tuning to minimize wave resistance. It also helps sometimes to change section status from Laster to non-master depending only what you want to do.
    And at the moment I am aboard a 65ft. motoryacht I designed using hullform.

3. bernd1972

bernd1972 Holzwurm

I find hullform extremely intuitive once you understand what you are doing. While it hast someone limitations it ist great to get a good hullform with correct strake. If you use the drag prediction function that will probably not get you 100% accuracy Butter it ist a gerät help for fine tuning to minimize wave resistance. It also helps sometimes to change section status from Laster to non-master depending only what you want to do.
    And at the moment I am aboard a 65ft. motoryacht I designed using hullform.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.