Thailand Longtail and Wooden Boat Export

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Longtail Skwub, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Longtail Skwub

Longtail Skwub New Member

I am a new member to this forum. In my haste to get my message out I inadvertantly broke the rules. I would like to attempt to post an edited version of my original thread.
    I am a Canadian and have been living in Thailand for 12 years. Having always owned wooden boats, the first thing I did when I came here was to have a longtail boat built for myself. Since then I have had 2 more built and sold the first one. I have found them to be a sturdy craft in most weather. However, they are an open hull design and it is possible to swamp one. Choose your weather, and boatman, wisely. I have seen a few with inboard engines, sealed decks and scuppers. They are all custom built in many different sizes, styles, purposes and configurations. ie; Fishing, sail, freight, passenger, car/truck ferry, speedboat, etc… These boats are built from exotic hardwoods and will last several lifetimes with proper care. I have hundreds of photos and videos that I will share to anyone interested These include a complete record of construction for those interested in trying to build one themselves. Also, please check my profile for current and future photo additions. Current trade regulations make it very hard to get quality, boatbuilding lumber in many parts of the world. Here in Thailand it is very difficult to export raw lumber however, it is quite easy to export finished products. In my time here I have gotten to know a co-operative of the most talented and respected longtail boatbuilders. Together with them, we have successfully exported several boats to Europe and North America. Although each one was different, when you consider that the cost to build a 10 meter wooden boat is less than $5000 USD, the cost to the owners was ridiculously low. If anyone else is interested in owning one of these magnificent boats they are welcome to contact me through here.

2. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Welcome! Will look forward to seeing any details and photos, especially of the build, that you are willing to share with the forum.

3. Longtail Skwub

Longtail Skwub New Member

To: Boat Design Moderator

Thank you for allowing me to get my message out. I have hundreds of photos that I would love to add but I'm having trouble. Can you advise me on how to upload photos?

4. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

To add photos to a thread such as this one, click on Go Advanced or use the blue Post Reply button. Then click Manage Attachments and a new window will appear (be sure that a popup blocker doesn't prevent the new window.) There you can select photos to upload. After you have added one or more photos, you can continue to post the message and the images will be attached.

There is also the Boat Design Gallery section of the site at http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/
    There in the menubar near the top right you will see an "Upload Photos" button where you can upload photos to the gallery.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.