TH Marine Remote Valves - Are they any good?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by flyfishingmonk, May 25, 2011.

1. flyfishingmonk

flyfishingmonk Junior Member

I am building a 19'6" flats boat, a Phantom, and will have a bait well and a live well.

I'm considering using a TH Marine control the valve so I don't have to get down under the poling platform to manually mess with the valves if I decide to fill up a tank or to drain a tank.

Here is a link to the part. Control Valve.

Here is a link to my blog where I am writing about the boat.

www.flyfishingmonk.com

Has anybody had any experience with this specific remote valve, specifically one that was installed correctly? Did it work well? Did it seem durable?

Thanks in advance!!!

The Monk

2. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Looks like simple push pull technology. I have no direct experience with this product but I am familiar with TH Marine and many of their other products. I find them to be pretty well thought out and as durable as any other good piece of equipment on a boat. The have many speciality items for flats boats that seems to be their niche.

Steve

3. flyfishingmonk

flyfishingmonk Junior Member

Sounds good! Thanks for the input.

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Pull to open valves are common for Air intakes.....a gas ram or spring keeps the valve closed..you pull against the spring or ram with a cable to open the valve.

When I was a kid the fish boats used a remote open close drain tube in the bait well. A ss 7 by 19 cable was threaded thru the tube with a firm rubber ball on the end. To close ,a highfield type lever was tensioned, pulling on the ss cable and bedding the ball in the tube. The system was foolproof and strong enough to chop sardines in half and still close the drain tube off. The advantage of the system was simplicity and the ability to mount the drain tube at the very bottom of the well and 100 percent drain it.

Valve arrangements like you propose will stand tall of the well floor when mounted and plumbed and will always be wet and leave residual stagnant water in the well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.