Termites... Anything I can do beside tenting boat.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mydauphin, Mar 3, 2012.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Sam you are making quite a few assumptions there. I'm about to go through this (again) with my church. Tenting a church with a 125' tall building isn't inexpensive, but it's the only way to be "sure" you've got them. Other wise, you'll just be retreating constantly, as they continue to eat wood.

The tent has a few different functions, the primary one other then keeping the chemicals where they need, to be is to provide a bag they can pull a negative pressure in. They hold the negative pressure for a set time, then inject the chemicals. The toxic goo only needs a few hours working time in this environment (which forces it into the nooks and crannies), but more importantly becomes inert after ~24 hours.

Simply put, unless you can insure you've saturated them for 3 or 4 hours in this bath of nastiness, you might as well just get cans of Raid by the case and have some fun.

2. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

Call someone out for a free inspection and find out type termite,s you have before you do anything else. You may even have carpenter ants for all you know. The inspection will be free ,make the call. Rick

3. PAR

Dry wood termites are pretty easy to identify. You see their droppings and/or wings. Subterranean termites leave mud tubes, which are also easy to spot, though not common on boats for obvious reasons. If there's "dirty sand" like stuff on horizontal surfaces, then you've got dry wood beasites.

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Here it cost about $800 to tent a 70' boat in or out of water problem is getting Marina to approve it.

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

For less than $800, can't you just replace the floor panels?

6. PAR

Dry wood termites can get deep into wood grain, so you have to be absolutely sure. Replacing pieces works, but there's no guarantee you've got all of them. You have to get them all and be sure of it or the obvious will occur.

7. Petros

Petros Senior Member

It is even possible to buy lumber with termites already inside. I have seen it.

Usually if you seal all of the surfaces, especially the end grain, with paint or finish, you will not get new infestations.

8. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

Check around the pest control company,s in your area and see if any of them have an old microgen fogger . They can penatrate 1/4" paneling and might do the trick . We used to get calls from people moving to Al from S Fl with drywoods in tables, chairs, ect. I only saw one house badly infested, lite infestations we advised removeing the wood,most of the time it was fir. If subterranean,s have a water sorce then they dont have to go to ground and wont always have a mud tube, frasp or droppings are a tale tale sign of drywood termites, fir lumber in your boat would also point to drywood,s. One other option would be to spend this winter in Maine. Rick

9. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I was hoping this winter was going to be cold like few years ago. I noticed the termites I find are in floor plywood which is very light wood. I am sealing edges of boards which seems to be where they are. Then try another kill.

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Not only did I see it, I did it. Fortunately most of the wood(southern bald-cypress) was still usable.

11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

If it were my 70ft. vessel that was being eaten I wouldn't hesitate, I'd tent her, fumigate a couple of times then make the voyage of a lifetime as suggested post #13. This is a mega yacht that most of us would only dream of crewing on and never in 100 lifetimes be able to own. Why are you playing around with half *** measures. Don't piss around with this "Get Her Done". I'd sell the house to save the boat. Christ I sell the wife if the house didn't provide the funds :D

A yacht is not defined by the vessel but by the care and love of her owner--

1 person likes this.
  12. PAR

I've met your wife and you wouldn't sell her. She's the only one in the world that would put up with you. Besides she's too nice to sell.

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Ditto!

14. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ok Ok let that be a lesson to all you guys out there --never introduce the wife to the boys -- as some day it might bite you in the *** and rune a good marketing sceme. :D. I invited Nancy to read your posts and she agrees---- Ya Ya Ya ---- outnumbered again---

15. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I guess we know who is captain on your boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.