Termites... Anything I can do beside tenting boat.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mydauphin, Mar 3, 2012.

1. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

It seems this warm weather has left me with termites in my floor panels. I bought some very lightweight plywood board for my floorboards and termites are eating them like they were paper. So far they don't seem interested in anything else and my boat is made of Aluminum,so I don't have any structural issues. Is there anything I can do to kill these pests short of tenting the whole boat or moving to the south pole. Do they eat teak also?

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

They eat teak and make lots of tunnels through ply.

I had them in my last boat.

There are things you can spray into the termite galleries, but you may miss some.

I know this doesn't help you, but I killed mine by putting the boat in Maine and living aboard there over the winter, then taking a 1 week trip away from the boat in freezing temperatures.

They can only last a few days in cold or very hot temperatures.

Here are some links on how to get rid of them...

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7440.html

http://www.epestsupply.com/drywood_termites.php

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Orange oil will kill them.

4. hoytedow

http://pestcontrol.about.com/od/damagefrompests/a/OrangeOilDriesUpTermiteColonies.htm

"How Does Orange Oil Kill Termites?"

"The active ingredient of orange oil is D-Limonene, a chemical known to be an effective insecticide against a variety of pests from flies, to mosquitoes, ants, crickets and mites. Scientists say that the oil dissolves the termite's exoskeleton, destroying the insect's cell membranes and triggering a lethal chain of events that ends with the bug dying from massive losses of water and protein."

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Thanks. I like orange oil, I will just spray it everywhere. At least it will delay them until I can tent. I was hoping for some 40 degree days this winter. But spring is on us, and they are swarming already.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You have what they call dry wood termites, which fly into locations, breed and make a home for themselves. You can effectively seal the boat and release one of several chemicals that will destroy the little ********. The key is a good seal, which is why the pro's like to tent. The chemicals need to remain active for the duration of it's effective period. Sulfuryl fluoride is the usual choice in the USA. Borates are also not uncommon.

7. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

How big is boat and is it on a trailer?

Maybe you could find a guy with an attached garage scheduled for house tenting.

Like PAR said they fly in, so as soon as the gassing if vented they might just fly right back in next day (although I believe they only spawn at certain times of year where you might see swarms flying...in Africa they cover the nests and collect the rich bugs, supposed to taste like peanut butter, but I digress).

I've done a bit of mostly dryrot repair and if I ever build a house out of wood I'll be spraying Copper Green in all the usual areas.

I believe the copper might be longer lasting than the Orange Oil, and I'm pretty sure the copper will also kill bugs, or at least prevent them from growing the mold on the wood which is their food (they don't eat the actual wood).

I've heard some "Orange Oil is a scam" because it isn't a lasting treatment but don't quote me.

I've also heard you don't need to use a lot of copper green and if fungus 'smells' it it wont grow, so you might get away with only surface application to kill fungus on other side of the wood.

I would treat the underside of the floor with copper, if possible, and not the skin contact side if you go barefoot or have dogs or eat in the boat, etc.

PS-Ive heard SPRAYING the Copper Green is a big no-no because of how it can affect your LUNGS, so use a brush or get more info.

8. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I have an aluminum boat - 70 feet, no sticking in garage.... No Copper anything. Pennies not allowed on board.

9. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

10. hoytedow

I always use copper naphthenate to treat any untreated wood when I build for outdoors use.

11. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

First find out what kind of termite is in your boat. Dursban TC is about the cheepest treatment, Termador is one of the best. Drywood termites need no water to survive and as par said you have to gas them to get the best results. Other termites need water so tarping the boat would be my first move regaurdless of treatment options. Rick

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

He has dry wood termites as the subterranean type need to build mud tubes up and into the structure. If you're in the water, this isn't possible, except via a dock line, which I would suspect moves enough to break up a mud tube. If on the hard, it's very possible to get subterranean, but the mud tubes are quite visible, climbing up keel blocking usually, though I'd bet they could climb a boat stand too if they were particularity determined. In fact, he very likely has the worst termite of all, the Formosan, which is very common here in Florida and they can eat a lot of wood very fast, so get it taken care of quickly.

13. viking north

viking north VINLAND

70ft. boat--thats a travelling machine--kill all those little suckers with a trip north. Anywhere between New England and Newfoundland anchored with the hatches open should shock the hell out of them. Then island hopping from Newfoundland--Greenland--Iceland--Europe should turn them to dust before getting into the Med. I've always found A long leasure cruise rids one's vessel of overstayed land lubbers. :) Other than that seal her up and pump in the fumigating gas or rent and activate extra air conditioners and get it down to just above freezing for a week. The longer I live the more I conclude too much of a good thing (climate, sun and beaches) is not benefical. However I'm going to risk it again for the next three months termites be damed, countdown three days. Just thought of something my land yacht and sea yacht are approx the same LOA --29-30ft. Interesting at $1000 a foot that reflects exactly my $30,000 toy budget. :D. There is mathematical order in the world afterall. Memory photos--don't see any termites.

Attached Files:

14. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I don't think going so far north is worth the trip to kill some bugs, and the cold might kill me too. Went to home depot and got some ammunition. Will be locking boat up and bombing in multiple ways. If that doesn't work, I am going to go find some old halon tanks and setup an anti-piracy/anti-pest system. lol

15. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

be award foam rubber can retain deadly gasses for much longer

than just about anything else. So be extra cautious about laying your head down on any pillows or mattresses for a few days.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.