glisser ship

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sudarikov, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Sudarikov

Sudarikov Junior Member

Hello, friends!

I am very interrested in your oppinion about sheeps like this. This models are made 20-40 years ago. There are some upgrated ships here in Russia but they are to old to. I am interrested in this kind of ships of its ability to land without dock.

So, i am interrested in:
    1) Do you know any other glisser-ships which are made now days?
    2) Is it possible to travel on it in the sea?
    3) Do this kind of ships has be long wight to have anought air under hull?
    4) How do you think, is it possible to build comfortable yacht using this class?

I want to use it in hard climate conditions in rivers and seas.

Thank you friends!

Attached Files:

2. Sudarikov

Sudarikov Junior Member

Is'nt it the same kind of ship?

Attached Files:

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Glisser ships

Not the same class - but much the same use - the traditional Scots Island trader - the 'Puffer' - immortalised in the books and film series 'Para Handy'.

These were inter-island traders (few Hebridean Island communities had their own deep water berths) and the Puffer would come in close to the village at high tide and then wait for the sea to recede, sit happily on the beach to be unloaded - then lift off at next full water.
    The reinforced bottom was the secret of their survival. Built back at the turn of the last century (19/20th) there are still examples today following the trade.

But good luck with your search.:)

Attached Files:

4. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

5. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

6. Sudarikov

Sudarikov Junior Member

Thank you guys, info is nice.

Bergalia, Dont you know where else can i see this ship? I am interrested in its hull, and of its front part. Is it possible to use this construction elements in my designs of premium motor yach. I want it to use in rivers and seas, 14 metres

Pericles thank you for thematik links, i took much interresting there to mine design-research

7. Sudarikov

Sudarikov Junior Member

May be some one knows what is this?
    What is it for? I have just two pictures and i dont know where to find info bout it.

Attached Files:

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Glisser ships

Unfortunately he 'Clyde Puffer' is becoming a rare bird nowadays. Your best chance to see one in the 'flesh' is to visit the West Coast of Scotland where I know the 'Silver Steam' still functions as a general carrier between the Clyde and the Inner Hebrides.
    I've added a picture of 'model' Puffer so that you can see the hull shape and blunt bows. The other illustration is the frontpiece of a set of Para handy tales. A great read - if you can get a translation, though I doubt a translation can do justice to the 'Scots' wry humour.
    And here is a brief background to the Puffer:

The Clyde puffer is essentially a type of small steamboat which provided a vital supply link around the west coast and Hebrides islands of Scotland, stumpy little cargo ships that have achieved almost mythical status thanks largely to the short stories Neil Munro wrote about the Vital Spark and her captain Para Handy.

Characteristically these boats had bluff bows, the three-man crew's quarters with table and cooking stove in the focsle, and a single mast with derrick in front of the large hold, aft of which the funnel and ships wheel stood above the engine room while the captain had a small cabin in the stern. Their flat bottom allowed them to beach and unload at low tide, essential to supply remote settlements without suitable piers. Typical cargoes could include coal and furniture, with farm produce and gravel sometimes being brought back.

During World War I these little boats were used for servicing warships, at Scapa Flow, and for World War II the Admiralty placed an order in 1939 for steamships on the same design, mostly built in England, with the class name of VIC, standing for "Victualing Inshore Craft". After the war a number of VICs came into the coasting trade.

The short stories which Neil Munro first published in the Glasgow Evening News in 1905 appeared in the newspaper over twenty years and achieved widespread fame, with collections issued in book form from 1931 still in print today. With the continuing popularity of these tales, the puffers became film stars in The Maggie, and Para Handy with his Vital Spark was the subject of three popular BBC television series dating from 1959 to 1995.

A small number of puffers survive as conservation projects, though most have diesel engines,

The VIC 32 is the last surviving coal fired steam powered puffer, based at The Change House, Crinan. Steam sailings have been available to the public from 1979, latterly as cruises on the Caledonian Canal. A new boiler was fitted in 2005.

VIC 27 renamed Auld Reekie, which starred as theVital Spark in the third BBC TV Para Handy series, is berthed at Crinan. In October 2006 she was bought by the owner of the Inveraray Maritime Museum and a complete refurbishment began in April this year. (2007)

VIC 72, continued in operation as the last of the true working "puffers" into the mid 1990s. In 2006 she was again renamed as Vital Spark of Glasgow after the Inveraray writer Neil Munro's Para Handy stories. She is now accessible to the public, alongside the Arctic Penguin at the Inveraray Maritime Museum, and continues to make sailings.

The Spartan, another diesel engined "puffer", is on display at the Scottish Maritime Museum at Irvine. The Pibroch was built at Bowling, Scotland, in 1957 as a diesel engined boat for the Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd, and since 2002 has been lying at Letterfrack,County Galway, Ireland.

Attached Files:

• nor.jpg
      nor.jpg
      File size:
      26.3 KB
      Views:
    • book.jpg
      book.jpg
      File size:
      19.2 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.