TEOTWAWKI Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by hoytedow, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Good point Fanie.

For the level of effort and investment, go for the right stuff.

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Better hurry up Hoyte, it's almost winter !

It's going to be terrible if you have to park the new boat till next summer without going for a spin at least.

Typical boatbuilder. Build a boat in summer so it's ready for the winter. Then during the winter gets other ideas, sell the unused boat for 2nd hand and plan the next boat to build in the summer on half the budget :D

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I am not concerned about color bleed. Sawdust color is close to the deck color I am going for. :)

I already bought tan boat seats and will try to match that color.

4. hoytedow

I already have sifted sawdust. I am really cheap and would not like to purchase beads anyway. :)

5. hoytedow

I will follow break-in instructions to the letter. This is probably my last motor and I want it to outlast me. :rolleyes:

6. hoytedow

Winter is the best time for boating in Florida. Just ask the Canadians. Thunderstorms are outside here right now. See the wet pavement?

Attached Files:

7. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Paint flattener can be made with plaster of paris. Mix in the plaster sparingly before painting. A dull modest non skid can be made using pumice. Sprinkle onto wet paint, let dry, vacuum off excess then recoat. Agressive non skid surfaces can be done with bird gravel. All those additives are cheap and rot free. For interiors I am partial to a good quality satin finish house paint. It lasts longer, wears better, easier to patch than high zoot paints like Easypoxy. Way cheaper too.

SamSAm; Peak horsepower is rarely at WOT. Peak torque is usually at a rev range below peak HP. Peak HP is determined with a dynomometer test and it is actually a calculated number based on torque measurements in combination with RPM. An example gasoline engine might be red lined at 6500 and it produces its max HP .....maybe at 5500. Individual engines have different characteristics for HP, Torque, and RPM but all of them are subject to the same generalities.

8. hoytedow

Now to adjust the trailer.

Attached Files:

9. hoytedow

The seats have been installed and they slide.

Attached Files:

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Sliding seats?!? OK, now you're showing off.

Whatever happened to, "jes' pick 'em up and set 'em down where ya want 'em'?:p:p

11. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

If you're planning to find the optimum fore-and-aft position don't forget the pencil . . .

12. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Sliding seats...

Impressive!

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

That's so the seat can slide back and forth while he works the legs when rowing up steep swells when that fuel guzzler he uses as an iron sail runs out of steam. ;)

Re the attachment... one can see the English never got through to the idea of a multihull, that's why they row these narrow thingies, or rather half a boat.

Attached Files:

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Just have to tell this. Someone I know who has zero technical skills (or insight) but who has more money than is good for him imported a very fancy and expensive fishing boat form the US. He wanted to fit something but decided he's not going to get some dumb idiot to work on his new boat, he'll fit it himself.

He was very surprised to find he can see the gravel right through the hull after the first hole he drilled. Ended up the dumb technical idiot fixed the see-through hull as well as fitted the thingy...

15. hoytedow

Row? No oars. Paddling.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.