1992 Kevlar One tonner

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Rogerfoxtrot, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Rogerfoxtrot

Rogerfoxtrot New Member

Hi guys,

I’m doing some type of research on how long would Kevlar will maintain it strength. Knowing that some Kevlar products such as ropes, sails or even vests have an estimated duration; I’m concerned about this properties on a 1993 Farr design hull.

she was built with vacuum systems fully Kevlar under Farr design specifications, and after she was raced thoroughly since 1992. Im evaluating on purchasing it for competitive and pleasure project, but this “expiration” of the material keeps coming to my head, so I wanted to get some help. :!::rolleyes::confused:

Many thanks

Roger

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Ropes and sails degrade because of UV (sunlight) exposure. It should not be a problem with a laminate, unless it doesn't have paint or gelcoat covering it.

3. Rogerfoxtrot

Rogerfoxtrot New Member

Good point, thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.