Removing LPU paint from Hypalon?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by snowbirder, Apr 28, 2015.

1. snowbirder

snowbirder Previous Member

My helper dropped a few drops of paint on a brand new (used) hypalon dingy I just bought.

He got some laquer thinner and tried to remove the drips. This made it worse. It just spread the paint around so it all looks dirty now.

How can I get this paint off the hypalon?

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Googled it ? Maybe try a household cleaning paste, but since it is a brand new second-hand dinghy (?) it might then look brighter than the rest of it !

3. snowbirder

Googled it with no results.

You mean something slightly abrasive?

Just trying to be careful not to damage the Hypalon.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

There is something called "Jif" over here than I have found good for cleaning stained surfaces, with ingrained grime, and yes, it is very slightly abrasive, but doesn't mar the surfaces I have used it on. I think it has calcite in it as the abrasive part, but obviously other constituents. If you try out one of these things, or anything else for that matter, first try it on a part that is out of sight, to see it doesn't leave a mark, or whatever.

5. snowbirder

Thanks! Will try one of those types of cleaners.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.