Can it be done? (55FT aluminum under 200k euro)

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by mariocroatia, Mar 17, 2012.

1. mariocroatia

mariocroatia Junior Member

55FT ALUMINUM boat class 1 PassageMaker for sale under 200k eur....i think it can:)

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I don't think you are even close. Maybe triple that amount.

Heck a standard electronics package for a boat that size would be 25% of your budget.

3. mariocroatia

maybe but,after 2 months research ive came to this result ,2 welder mahine 10k usd,plans 20k,education of 2 welders (for getting lloyd certification)4k,8 tonns al all 40k,engine 12k,equipment,doors windows...6k,electronics package 25 k,monthly payment 1,5k per month x4 worker x4 months 24k =1ok interior....am i missing something....i have workshop...

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Depends on quality and size, not just length. But all costs including rent, 200k should be enough for finish hull only, not propulsion or other stuff.

5. mariocroatia

quality will be good expirience workers .16 m x 4,5 m hull.no rent, private workshop just electricity bills...propulsion engine 80/90 hp

6. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Just the cost of the aluminium and labour to fabricate it will be around €100-120k (using a very low labour rate - since you're in Croatia), that's half your cost already. The propulsion side and outfit will be just as much if not more depending up your SOR, so i doubt it. Maybe double the cost your suggesting, yes. But i doubt it for <€200k

7. mariocroatia

The cost of the aluminium25 k eur (24786 with 25% vat) labour 4 months 4 worker 16k,fabricating bare boat it will be less than 50 k ...propulsion less than 20 k eur...

8. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

The cost is in the details and systems . Im sure you can build a simple workboat for your modest budget.

Basic sandblasting, fairing and paint will cost 50k for a boat your size.

If youre building for the Croatia charter trade you will have plenty of competion from well found yachts.

9. mariocroatia

Hi Michael ,thx for advice....Can u tell me what details and systems will cost 100+k eur, aluminum unpolished ( workboat look) on the outside only,painted inside....It will not be build for charter(the new boat in charter can not pay himself in 20 years)

10. michael pierzga

Hard to say. I recently installed a new 24v battery bank, plus alternator, plus battery charger, plus cabling and switches, plus metal and woodwork and it cost 32k. yup

This winter I replaced the fridge freezer compressor and piping 7.5k

This week Im having a new canvas cockpit enclosure built..4.5 k

Boats are expensive.

The only way to beat the system is to begin with an undervalued, down on its luck brokerage boat.

Two years ago a mate of mine bought a nice plastic Taiwanese 50ft trawler... perhaps 15 years old.

The boat was unloved and sunburnt. Asking price was 250...my mate got it for 140. Spent another 100k on engines out rebuild, modernized systems, nice new paint job, an a interior decoration and is now running charters.

He is competing head to head against boats costing several million

He is winning.

11. mariocroatia

I know its hard to say everything in boats is expensive,but for 100 k on new build for systems is more than enough,i think....
    Glad for ur friend so it can be done....2 examples from here 1 person buy 3 sailing yacht 4years ago each 500 +k new,2 person (mechanic) buy 6used powerboats all with broken engines ,repair engines ,and he is wining big time over 1 guy

12. michael pierzga

Ive worked with yachts my whole life. The costs are so high that I could never own one.

If you have a business plan..charter...you must amortize the boat very fast...four years..so that you can begin to actually make money
    The owner operator 15 meter class in this area typically generates 100k per year in charter revenue. Brokerage fees, insurance, dockage, maintenance , tax eats up half. So, after you have paid down the 200k initial investment in say 4 years, you can theoretically put 50k a year cash in your hand.

Charter is not an easy business. The best value in brokerage boats are normally charter boats who went belly up.

13. mariocroatia

I have no interest in charter....but have friends in that business ...u can get top 3k per week ....and every 1 will be very very very happy if he can chart the boat for 8 weeks per year....I know charter is not easy business ....big risk big investmant ....

14. michael pierzga

If you are building a private boat, the budget is up to you. certainly 200k could build a decent simple boat.

Whether its worth it to spend 200k on a simple boat is a good question.

15. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Michael, I think if you owned one , weren't uber rich and had to pay for these things with your own coin, you might find you would be paying less ;)

To the OP, it can be done, I have a boatbuilder mate who has done similar in alloy (cat with 2 engines) and it worked well for him. No fairing, no pretty timberwork but good solid workboat that did its job well.
    If he paid himself a wage for his labour it may have been a different story.