New design, 15' cat ketch

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by 176inches, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 176inches

176inches Junior Member

A year ago I started building a 15' foot open sailboat, which I designed myself, using Carlson Design software. It is broad lapstrake (4 strakes per side), with nailed and glued lap joints and seven permanent frames plus transom. The rig is very traditional, cat ketch with short unstayed wooden masts, standing lug sails and sprit booms. I constructed all the spars and sewed the sails myself. I also made a pair of 9-foot oars from poplar.

The boat is now ready and all that remains is setting up the running rigging. There are plenty of details for those so inclined on my blog (http://176inches.blogspot.com). My handle refers to the length of the boat as set in the plans (the final length is closer to 179 inches).

Any comments and questions welcome!

2. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.