techniques for hull form definition

Discussion in 'Software' started by victorship, Apr 6, 2009.

1. victorship

victorship WebMember

hello everybody, with the evolution of the 3d desigx and the possibility to develop rapid surface with a lot of control of points and a good level of rendering.

i propose you, concentrate techniques to compute a rapid hull.

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

There are several software tools available that perform these functions. Do you feel they have shorcomings that should be addressed or need additional features? What are they? It is hard to respond adequately to your post with so little information.

Personally, I feel that existing software is too analytical in nature. It does not support the actual design creation process, it merely produces a picture and analyses the design. Nice, but it could do more.

I would like my software to work with a minimum of control points, so I would input basic dimensions and select an intended application, then have the software offer an initial design solution and summary of its principal characteristics. Then the process of optimization and detailing can commence sooner.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Another cryptic enquiry................................................

Victor, could we agree on using Gujarati language and characters, so everyone here could understand your questions??? That would look like:
    [​IMG]

and the answer as far as I understood the question, would be a clear:

ગુજરાતી

Regards
    Richard

4. dskira

dskira Previous Member

What you describe is almost drafting with ink, splines and ducks. It gave total control, and with the help of a mechanical integrator, all calculations are done.
    A good lofting take care of the discrepencies.
    I always worked that way and works fine. I Never catch up with the computer, using it only with Excel for the integrator results only. I love to draw, it gave me great satisfaction (very selfish) and great control.
    Please do not take it against the modern world or a reactionary attitude, it is just the way I think and work.
    And as usual, slightly of topic:)
    Daniel

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Sorry to contradict, but that was not possible here!...........:D

6. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

By no means! Drafting with ink, or even pencil is hard work. Hauling the draftboard into position, lifting those huge sheets of paper, sharpening the pencil, ach! (or ugh!)

What I meant is something closer to what I do.

1) dream up a hull shape that can be rendered in a mathematical expression
    2) enter the expression into a spreadsheet and expand it
    3) get the spreadsheet to illustrate the result in a graph
    3a) return to 1) if it looks wrong
    4) copy the graph to a graphics program
    5) carefully trace over it and review it to see if it's what I wanted
    5a) return to 1) or 4) if it looks wrong
    6) start a Free!Ship file
    7) scrabble around until I get an acceptable approximation of what I want
    7a) return to 1), 4) or 7) if it looks wrong
    8) use Free!Ship to get the hydrostatic data and plank developments
    8a) return to 1), 4) or 7) if they are not what I really wanted
    9) build the sucker and try it out
    9a) return to ... well, you've got the idea ...

-what could be simpler?

Well, for one thing, being able to go from 1) to 7) in one step knowing that 8) (and maybe even 9) is going to turn out right!

Trouble with current software is, it assumes you know what you are doing when you design a boat, so it is a straightline process from creating the file to churning out the analytical data. It's about as sophisticated as a word processor program.

I want to be Scottie and start by saying "Computer! create a design for a sailing hull suitable for trailering, not more than 200 lb, at least 12 ft long, which can also be rowed." And then the coputer would reply in a sexy contralto "please select from the following menu of alternatives" ...

I suppose I'll have to write the #%$&@@ program myself.

7. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Terry
    GODZILLA will give you the lowest drag underwater hull form for the set constraints. It is a useful starting point.

In fact I start with the lowest drag hull form with the fewest possible constraints, usually just displacement and power, so I know what that looks like and then evaluate the impact of various constraints such as length and stability.

So it does not give you a boat design but gets you down the track very quickly. The GODZILLA results can be imported directly to Freeship for adding the shape above the waterline.

Inevitably there is iteration in the process if the initial estimates on weight for example are wrong but once the loop is set up it does not take much effort to replicate.

Rick W

8. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

A.K.
    "...Trouble with current software is, it assumes you know what you are doing when you design a boat,.."

Exactly, as immediately noted above!!!!!!!!....its amazing how simple comprehension goes over the heads of those that think the computer has all the answers, but as you nicely put it:

"...."please select from the following menu of alternatives" ..."

These programs are just tools and about as much use as a chocolate tea pot if one doesn't have the experince, comprehension and education to use them....and at the end of the day, they are just that a tool - double entendre intended :)

9. victorship

victorship WebMember

apex1 :- .

i think that people like express ... ideas.. emotions .......

also, i think that the proposed language. its a feeling.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.